4 x 4 Goat Fence for run

Check Walmart online. I bought a roll of 24"wide, 1/2" hardware cloth a few months ago and they delivered it to the local store where I picked it up. It was WAY cheaper than Home Depot. 50 foot roll for @ 55.00.

Thats still insanely expensive. a dollar for a foot of fence is crazy. unless you're doing a little run, and not a pasture, you're going to spend triple the amount you wanted to on fencing.

Has anyone ever used the Red Brand 4x4 Goat & Sheep Field Fence for fencing in a chicken run? I have about 200' of it and I would like to use it to fence in a 2500 sq ft run, rather than pay $50 for a roll of chicken wire. I am worried chickens will be able to squeeze through the holes. In that case I might as well pay the $200 and fence it in with chicken wire. Breeds would be Rhode Island, Wyandotte, Barred Rock and other large American Heritage breeds. Oh and maybe some EE's.

I've got all my pastures done in Field fencing - it has 6" vertical stays - and varied horizontal stays (the bottom are about 2 high by 6 wide and they get a little taller as they go up - at the top they're 6x6). The chickens would go through the fence when they were teenagers - but as adults they can't get through anywhere below about 3' high where the squares are bigger than 4x6" - and these are birds that max out at about 5 lbs. I wouldn't use it for a small run, but it's great for fencing in a pasture you want the birds to stay in.

It won't keep a weasel out, but it'll keep out dogs and foxes and with a bit of electric, racoons - I have a bit of electric running along the top of mine, and down near the ground so things don't try to dig - it works great.

My pasture where my birds "free range" is fenced in 4x4 goat fencing, works fine. Keeps dogs and other critters out during the day and my birds are in secure coops at night. I have a couple strands of hot wire for added deterrant. What really matters in using it for a run is what you need to keep out during the day, assuming your birds are safely locked up at night. You could use the field fence and add some chicken wire or hardware cloth inside a couple feet up just to stop them sticking their heads out. I also put a heavy duty shade cloth cover on my run to keep hawks out. None of this is predator proof when it comes to other predators but in my situation I don't have other daytime predators. So whether it will work for you depends on your own situation.

One thing I want to point out is that the smaller the run is, the more secure it needs to be.

If you've got a small run, and a situation where a predator can get in, and the birds can't get out, you're going to lose all your birds. If you've got a large run, you might lose a couple, but they'll mostly scatter into trees, etc.

One thing I want to point out is that the smaller the run is, the more secure it needs to be.

If you've got a small run, and a situation where a predator can get in, and the birds can't get out, you're going to lose all your birds. If you've got a large run, you might lose a couple, but they'll mostly scatter into trees, etc.

The pasture for them would be about 50 x 50

Last edited:
it is too much work and emotional to replace a flock.. they may be just chickens but they are so entertaining and get to you....
we spent quite a bit to house and fence runs for them.....to just give up
oh we did the cattle panels on one run covered lower four and half feet with hdwe cloth then rest way up with poultry wire and over top in poultry wire with plenty of t posts some 7 footers too supports and
second run for younger chickens is 2 dog kennels together and covered by hdwe cloth lower portion the upper till the 6 foot tall, and roof with 1 inch poultry wire .... plus we fenced in 100 by 100 run for the two sets togther.
i just wish the one coop was wider and longer...
of course the little sillybutts want out to run the rest of the area..... i do so for about last hour before sundown.....mostly cause their big 100 by 1oo run is Bermuda grass...and two rows of trees.....unfortunately had to cut down the berry bushes and they were the wild sticker galore wild blackberries
just chiming in

Last edited:
it is too much work and emotional to replace a flock.. they may be just chickens but they are so entertaining and get to you....
we spent quite a bit to house and fence runs for them.....to just give up
oh we did the cattle panels on one run covered lower four and half feet with hdwe cloth then rest way up with poultry wire and over top in poultry wire with plenty of t posts some 7 footers too supports and
second run for younger chickens is 2 dog kennels together and covered by hdwe cloth lower portion the upper till the 6 foot tall, and roof with 1 inch poultry wire .... plus we fenced in 100 by 100 run for the two sets togther.
i just wish the one coop was wider and longer...
of course the little sillybutts want out to run the rest of the area..... i do so for about last hour before sundown.....mostly cause their big 100 by 1oo run is Bermuda grass...and two rows of trees.....unfortunately had to cut down the berry bushes and they were the wild sticker galore wild blackberries
just chiming in
What I am thinking of doing is attaching the field fence to the t posts, then attack the chicken wire on top. That way the field fence blocks the predators, and the chicken wire keeps in the chicks. It seems like a pretty good plan.

Back
Top Bottom