47 hours since internal pip, please help

sabrinaTmartens

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 24, 2014
6 of my 8 quail eggs have hatched 20 hours ago, and there are 2 left.
One has a small pip(little crack) in the shell, and the other still nothing. You can hear them both picking( one very soft and the other a little louder) and one of them chirping.

It has been 47 hours since they internally pipped, and i am worried they might run of air inside the shell.

Should i assist by making a very small hole where they are picking so they don't run out of air, or just wait? I don't wanna put them in danger.

I would if you see any blood stop, ok so first open up the top of the air sac to see anything, if you feel it's okay to continue helping than do so, wet the inner membrane and see if there is active blood veins if so stop if not than continue on, if you have any questions just PM me

I would if you see any blood stop, ok so first open up the top of the air sac to see anything, if you feel it's okay to continue helping than do so, wet the inner membrane and see if there is active blood veins if so stop if not than continue on, if you have any questions just PM me
x2

We had to completely assist the last 2 eggs because they had been pecking for over 54 hours with no progress. The first one was on his feet pretty fast and the other was so weak he was close to dying. He still couldn't sit up or walk after 20 hours and kept laying on this side, so i gave him some sugar water, carefully gave his feet a little exercise/streching and sat with him many hours talking to him and encouraging him to keep trying( i know it sounds like i am a crazy girl but every time i talked he peeped back to me, and tried to get up, so okay maybe i'm a bit crazy in that area haha). This morning when i woke up he was taking little steps, and now he is with his little Brothers and sisters. Absolutely amazing! Yesterday we thought he was going to die for sure.

Thank you all so much for your advice!

Awww he's so cute!!!! I talk to my chickens too.....they do seem to understand and I have heard them "talk back"! Lol
I'm probably just as crazy!

Back
Top Bottom