4Health Dog Food

Quote:
well,they arent lieing if they are useing ground up chicken feet for the chicken meal as chicken feet are VERY high in glucosamine..if a person does research they will find a ton of different "brands" are made by just a few companies..I myself feed raw and think its the best.

Lorie, Dog food and politics are two things people love argueing about. As far dog food goes, I think it depends on the dog. I have 8 shepherds, I have tried everything, raw, cooking for them, evo, california naturals they all sucked. I finally found pmi and in the afternoons they get rice and chicken or eggs. No more hershey squirts. My brother has a 12 year old rottie that plays like a puppy, The thing grew up on puupy chow then kibbles and bits lol
cool.png

I saw this in TSC the other day...I feed Chicken Soup to my dogs, but I have to drive bout an hour to get it..I will probably try 4Health and see how my dogs do on it.

Sorry to drag this out of the woodpile but as I've been reading Taste of the Wild's ingredients, I see bison.
Where the heck do they get bison from???
Maybe I'm naive here in my Connecticut suburb, but BISON?! And then I just bought a brand called Harmony Farms and the first ingredient was venison. Is that for real too???
DH says that he was told venison was illegal in my state to sell . So this is bugging me.
Really weird.

Last edited:
I bought the 4health a few bags ago, but really the diamond brand naturals is very similiar and cheaper and with two GSDs we need to save money where we can. So now we're feeding the diamond naturals lamb and rice for large breed puppies and both our boys are doing great on it. Of course I also feed raw, chicken or beef.

dot n'dave :

Sorry to drag this out of the woodpile but as I've been reading Taste of the Wild's ingredients, I see bison.
Where the heck do they get bison from???
Maybe I'm naive here in my Connecticut suburb, but BISON?! And then I just bought a brand called Harmony Farms and the first ingredient was venison. Is that for real too???
DH says that he was told venison was illegal in my state to sell . So this is bugging me.
Really weird.

There are plenty of large ranches here (NM), in Colorado and Wyoming that raise both bison and venison. It's not that hard to get.

On the topic of dog kibble...though I feed my dogs raw quite a bit, when I have to/need to feed kibble there are two things I avoid: grains and beet pulp. Taste of the wild is, IMHO, a good food overall. I've never seen the brand in question, but I would wonder if the beet pulp would be a major contributor to gas as it's a sugar. However, if the grains are a non-issue and the beet pulp is not either, then the food looks to be decent. Frankly, we live in a world where feeding the humans can be tricky, so the dogs sometimes get what they get and it's bic lighters all around.​

Last edited:
I buy bison at the local grocery store for myself to eat. In Germany Venison farms were common. I used to drive by one Bison ranch and it was the only one that I know of in Germany. I expect out in the midwest it would be more common on some of the larger ranches to have them to raise. Venison and Bison are excellent meats but people pass on them way to often. So our dogs get a lot of leftovers as who else is going to buy it in the market but the dog food companies.

There is a bison farm not too far from me here in Ohio. Quite a few people raise deer here too. Not large deer herds though.

You don't see bison as much as cows but it is not uncommon.

As for the ingredients lists people are showing, the first on the list is what it has the most of an the last is what it has the least of. That does not mean that if the first thing on the list is chicken then its mostly chicken. It could be less than 5% chicken. The longer the ingredients list the more likely there is actually very little of the first ingredient in the product.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Millet, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Beet Pulp, Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed, Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.

This list has 42 ingredients so even tho it says chicken first it may be less than 3% chicken. I also have to ask why if it has chicken in it then why does it need "Natural Chicken Flavor." The amount of actual chicken in there must be very low to have to add "Natural Chicken Flavor" to hide the taste of all the junk so the dogs will eat it....

Ask your self why the ingredients list are so long an why each ingredient is in there...​

Quote:
This list has 42 ingredients so even tho it says chicken first it may be less than 3% chicken. I also have to ask why if it has chicken in it then why does it need "Natural Chicken Flavor." The amount of actual chicken in there must be very low to have to add "Natural Chicken Flavor" to hide the taste of all the junk so the dogs will eat it....

Ask your self why the ingredients list are so long an why each ingredient is in there...

Look at the portion of the above that I maked in bold. Those are all VITAMINS AND MINERALS, so really the list of ingredients OTHER THAN supplemental vitamins/minerals to ensure proper nutrient content is quite short. Think about it.

Back
Top Bottom