4Health Dog Food

MomtoSyd&Emma

Songster
10 Years
Jul 13, 2009
Southern VA
Has anyone tried this dog food? Tractor Supply carries it, there is no corn or soy in it and having a Boxer I need a no corn food. I bought a bag today and I am going to slowly mix it with the food he is barely tolerating right now(its making him SUPER gassy)

Here is what the Tractor Supply website has on the food we bought:

4health Chicken & Rice Formula for Adult Dogs Dog Food is specifically formulated to provide your adult dog with the best nutrition available. The ideal levels of protein and fat support a healthy, lean body condition for longevity and vitality. Nutritional features like antioxidants, joint support, prebiotics and omega fatty acids all work together 4health.

Vitamin E and Selenium protect healthy cells from free radicals
Antioxidants keep the immune system strong
Glucosamine and chondroitin support joint health by providing the building blocks of healthy joint fluid
Omega?6 and Omega?3 Fatty Acids support healthy skin & coat and a strong immune system
Dried chicory root (prebiotic) supports healthy digestion by providing energy to the cells and good bacteria in the digestive system
4health Formulas for puppies and dogs offer all of the nutritional features to keep your pet happy and healthy. With fresh meat in every formula, 4health offers exceptional taste and optimal protein nutrition. A blend of omega fatty acids promotes overall good health and a shiny, healthy coat. Antioxidants are guaranteed in each formula, assurance that your pet's immune system is getting the boost it needs. Compare 4health to leading national brands and you'll see why 4health is the best choice for your pet's health.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Millet, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Beet Pulp, Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed, Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 26.0% (min.), Crude Fat 15.0% (min.), Omega?6 Fatty Acids 2.5% (min.), Omega?3 Fatty Acids 0.4% (min.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Crude Fiber 4.0% (max.), Glucosamine hydrochloride 300 mg/kg (min.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), Chondroitin sulfate 100 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.).

Caloric Content:
3,755 kcal/kg (351 kcal/cup).

Last edited:
I have not tried this food but it sounds very similar to the diamond naturals which I feed my small dogs. I have really liked the diamond since switching. How much does it cost and how big is the bag? Does it come in small breed formula and puppy? The small breed puppy formula costs me $29.99 for 40lbs and I have been feeding chicken/rice formula for adults but would love to find a small breed adult food. The adult costs $26.99 for a 40lbs. Let me know how the change goes. Good luck.

I switched from Diamond as it was killing Rallys stomach (boxer) I hope that this food does his belly better! I paid 30 for 35 pounds! They do believe that they have a small breed formula but I wont swear to it, you can look on the tractor supply website and it should be on there!

Were you feeding Diamond Naturals? The ingredients are almost identical in the Diamond Naturals chicken and rice formula to yours. The crude is exactally the same. If you want you can check and compare for yourself on the diamond website.

No we were feeding Diamond High Energy to him. here are the ingredients of that:

Protein: 24% Fat: 20%
Calories: 3,820 kcal/kg (400 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
Available in 50 lb bags.

Ingredients
Chicken by-product meal, ground corn, rice bran, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), meat meal, beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B2 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Last edited:
We picked up our first back the other day. We were actually going to buy some Diamond Naturals and stumbled across "4 Health". Ingredients looked slightly better then Diamond Naturals. We usually use "Taste of the wild" which is actually made by Diamond Pet Foods. Our dogs do very well on this. We picked up another Border Collie foster and wanted to save a little money but still get a high quality dog food. After we compared the ingredients and decided it was a better food then Naturals we decided to try it... All 3 dogs love the taste. They actually go nuts over it. Not a bad thing
smile.png

After looking on the bag I noticed that manufacturer on the back was DPF... I opened it up and thought to myself hmm kinda looks like Diamond Naturals hehe. The kibble style was alike
smile.png
So I figured that DPF actually is Diamond Pet Foods. The address from "TOTW" is the same also. It looks like they are testing it out at Tractor Supply for now. I know after looking at all their other products that it is a different formula all together. So we paid about 30 bucks for a 35 pound bag instead of 30 bucks for a 40 pound bag of Naturals. It's been a week so far and no Diarrhea and just when I thought the poop looked good from TOTW this looks really good also. Very firm never runny
smile.png
I would highly recommend this food at this stage unless something changes...

AS a Boxer owner. when you find a food that works please let me know. my 3 year old male has the worst gas
sickbyc.gif

26710_cheif.jpg

i dont give him any table food. it only makes it worse.

Well I can tell you this... I love when something good comes along that all the dogs agree on. So far this one works great. The reason we are changing foods is because it's a lot of money to keep them all on TOTW. We picked up another rescue dog and are fostering him. He had the nastiest, rank kinda clear the room effect that you are talking (John in wa) about with "Chief"
smile.png
Opening up the doors and windows in the winter is not a natural act !!! We noticed that after the 2nd day he was already stabilized pretty good ... I was shocked at that in itself. No more green clouds hehe.. So far so good !! I really like the transition for the other dogs also... We are mixing the formulas to get them off "TOTW" without any noticeable issues. Actually they seem pretty darn happy around dinner times these days and my wife say's thats the best smelling dog food she's smelled hehe.

I feed pmi exclusive made by purina mills. tractor supply company is now carrying their feed. So I really think it is made by them. The people at tractor supply seem to think so. When i opened the bag and compared it. it looks pretty myuch like the same food. One thing i like about anyfood made by pmi is they dont lie. other foods say have glucosamine for joint health. look at the ingredients, it will read something like this. Chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine). PMI doesnt do that, they add glucosamine.

We are on our second bag of this and its working really well, Rallys gas has pretty much stopped and that alone makes me keep buying this food lol

Back
Top Bottom