4month old ducks and drakes

LeahPaige

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2020
I have 2 Pekin drakes ( I think) and 1 khaki Campbell duck around 4 months old. Right now the Pekins are molting away, the Duck is not. When should I expect to see mating and/ or egg laying? Is it normal for the Pekins to molt now.. they had just grown into their beautiful waterproof white feathers now they are molting and the feathers underneath look like the baby fuzz stuff and they look a bit yellow cream instead of white now.
Any tips suggestions..

Yeah, my husband came home with these from tractor supply.. I ordered 3 khaki Campbell females from a hatchery so they will be here soon to be sure we had females. One of the Pekins I thought was a female this he/ she was honk quacking loudly at around 5 weeks and then At around 2 months stopped and now sounds like the other Pekin. The khaki Campbell didn’t start quacking until 2 months but is very quacky and loud. I am looking for signs to confirm their gender like drake tails, mating, or eggs. None of that yet, I just hope that my Pekins aren’t sick they roam around fine but they are molting like crazy and I do t know why I am seeing all of this baby duck fuzz on them again

You may want to post pictures in the Duck forum and see if anyone there can help.

I do know if both Pekins are drakes you should separate them from the lone female until the younger ones are almost mature. Don't want them killing her before she can give you any eggs!

Yeah, I’m waiting to see if the dynamics change.. right now she seems to be the boss
One of the Pekins has very bowed legs has a hard time keeping up with the other ones.. that is the Pekin that used to quack.. but now sounds like a raspy drake. The khakis are so much faster than the Pekins, I guess that’s an advantage for the lady unless they mate in their house at night?
I’ll have to watch them closely..

Back
Top Bottom