4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

Ok I feel kinda dumb I bought a bag of feed a few days back , it smelled funny to me but I had never had that kind befor so I figured it was sapose to smell that way. My birds hate it and barely eat it. But again its new and my birds are picky. Well today it was really bothering me how it smelled so I looked all over the bag for the date and it was hard to understand but if any of those numbers are a date then tht bag was a use by in ether 2007 or 2011 ether way thats yucky. So I am takeing it back tomarow and I hope she will refund me so I can go buy there normal feed at the other place. So much with trying to buy from small busnesses. Dont they rotate there stock and check dates ?? Will my birds be ok they are haveing some loose stools but not to bad. It dosnt smell moldy and its not wet it just smell wrong like old flour or whatnot if you know what I mean
Yikes! I wouldn't be happy either. Maybe it's just a really weird feed? Nothing that old should be sold. I hope you get your money back. Speaking of feed, I need to go buy some again.

And I don't know if it would hurt your birds to have old food, but here's hoping for the best!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Ok I feel kinda dumb I bought a bag of feed a few days back , it smelled funny to me but I had never had that kind befor so I figured it was sapose to smell that way. My birds hate it and barely eat it. But again its new and my birds are picky. Well today it was really bothering me how it smelled so I looked all over the bag for the date and it was hard to understand but if any of those numbers are a date then tht bag was a use by in ether 2007 or 2011 ether way thats yucky. So I am takeing it back tomarow and I hope she will refund me so I can go buy there normal feed at the other place. So much with trying to buy from small busnesses. Dont they rotate there stock and check dates ?? Will my birds be ok they are haveing some loose stools but not to bad. It dosnt smell moldy and its not wet it just smell wrong like old flour or whatnot if you know what I mean
Gosh, I sure hope they don't get sick! My goodness, yes, you'd think they'd make sure their stock was good! Yuck! This isn't your week, is it?!? Ugh! So sorry!

I took the feed back she said what I thought was a date was actually a code of some sort and that the bag was made on the 200th day of 2012 guess they date them like eggs. She wasnt very happy but gave me a bag of chick starter and credeited my account the extra eight dollers. She said the feed was good and it was just differnt then they were use to . I still say it smelled wierd but Im no expert

Yes!

I started a thread after I had a bunch of chicks died twice and several people posted that they do this all the time. There is an office there and you can ring a bell after hours.

A person here does this because they live in the foothills and there is only one truck that heads up there. If the chicks miss the truck, they have to sit in the Center for an extra day!

Just Do it! (Nike?)

Ok, I found a way to get there. I will call the post office tomorrow, but do you know where I can find out where the USPS sort facility is? I've tried using google and I'm pretty sure that there is one in St. Paul MN, but I can't find an address.

I took the feed back she said what I thought was a date was actually a code of some sort and that the bag was made on the 200th day of 2012 guess they date them like eggs. She wasnt very happy but gave me a bag of chick starter and credeited my account the extra eight dollers. She said the feed was good and it was just differnt then they were use to . I still say it smelled wierd but Im no expert
My hubby went to a different feed store a little farther away, and brought back some less expensive feed from there, and it smells like hay. But I think it's because it is stored next to a bunch of hay etc... It's in a section of town where everyone has a horse, LOL. So horse oriented. I haven't opened it yet, but from the tag, it looks good only there is a lot of soy meal in it which I read wasn't the best??? Gotta look into that a bit. Certainly, if it's less expensive, my hubby will not give a dang if it h as dog poop in it, he's happy he found a cheaper bag, LOL
They changed the Nam to network center. The information for Minnesota is:

https://fast.usps.com/fast/fastApp/facility/profile/facilityManage.action?facilityId=100046767

Good Luck!
They're just trying to legally hide, LOL. Who would think Network Center!

THANK God I got a call to push my live order back until Feb13th!! what a relief!! But I did add to my order LOL last night 3am thermo said 3 degrees!!

My hubby went to a different feed store a little farther away, and brought back some less expensive feed from there, and it smells like hay. But I think it's because it is stored next to a bunch of hay etc... It's in a section of town where everyone has a horse, LOL. So horse oriented. I haven't opened it yet, but from the tag, it looks good only there is a lot of soy meal in it which I read wasn't the best??? Gotta look into that a bit. Certainly, if it's less expensive, my hubby will not give a dang if it h as dog poop in it, he's happy he found a cheaper bag, LOL

They're just trying to legally hide, LOL. Who would think Network Center!

We don't buy the layer pellets anymore (too many roosters, chicks, and old hens to risk the excessive calcium), but when we did; there was this one brand that I swear smelled like apples. It honestly smelled really good! I try to alternate brands to give the chickens some variety, but I bought this brand more often because it was the same price and smelled better. Maybe I'm just crazy, but since my chickens love apples, I'm going to assume they liked that feed better as well. I can't remember what brand it was...

And I agree that they are trying to hide. I was searching the web for a good hour before I asked on here, I couldn't find anything! Normally an address is simple to find. The only information that I could come up with is that there is a St. Paul sorting facility. I was honestly starting to believe it didn't exsist! Then Ron shared that link which had a ton of information. It's nuts!

Back
Top Bottom