4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

I do make it according the the instructions. Sometimes I will throw some of their food on top when I give it to them.
Awesome, I'll go do that now!

Hope your chicks are okay. My experience when I order 2 weeks ago when we had the warm temps and rain was not so good. They were still too stressed. I ended having mine refunded because you have to reship within 2 weeks and the temps looked cold to me. I'm hoping that they still have some specials when it is a little warmer for us up here. Hopefully yours are stronger when you get them. I've had good luck with Ideal in the past, so mine may have just been a fluke.

Yikes, this makes me worried. You would think that ideal would be better off if they used heat packs. I would gladly pay an extra fee for one and then they wouldn't have to refund or reship as much. I think they said they usually have specials in Januaray and Frebuaray, and then again starting in June. I sure hope the little guys do ok!

Thank goodness I didn't see that! LOL. I have too many as is! Actually, When my second coop is finished, I should have a little extra room ;) LOL I'll keep my fingers crossed for your chickies too!
fl.gif
I hope they'll have as good a trip as possible. I think the postal workers are likely to try and pamper them when they have chicks, who could resist or treat them badly? I think heat might be more dangerous in this circumstance??

I sure hope they are treated nicely. I would assume that they are, but you never know. And yes, I have too many right now as well. I'm going to have to sell some and it's always hard to decide who stays and who goes. I love each and every one of them, even if there are 30 of them. Right now I'm slowly trying to switch most of my flock to bantams, feed is just getting too expensive and fermenting feed isn't a logical solution for me.

I ordered some chicks too Cochins... I specifically asked that they mark my order and know that its going to get into teens this week here!! they said they will add plenty of straw and male chicks to keep warmth??????????????????????? I feel so bad for these chicks now, do you???? uggggggg even though they gaurantee doesnt mean chicks wont die : (

Yes, I feel horrible for these chicks. I really wish there was something more that I could do. How many chicks did you order? I ordered 55 and was simply told it would be fine. So they marked your order for you? I'll have to send them another email seeing if they'll do that for me. Temperatrues will be hanging around 0 degrees. I'm also planning to buy their gro gel with the protein, vitamins, probiotics, and stuff. I really hope all goes well. If it would help, I wouldn't mind some male chicks, but I think they only do that for orders under 25 chicks.

Get the tracking number and call your local post office to see where it really is. You can go to the distribution center and pick them up there. The Post master can get into the real time tracking system, so they can tell you when it gets to the center. Often you can get them a day early that way.

Good luck!

I'll have to look into this, thanks! But I'm not sure it'll help too much. They are going from Texas to Minnesota, so I doubt they will make it in one day and they are supposed to come within 2 days.

Quote: They go from the sorting center in Texas and Airborne flies them to Min. They sit there until taken to the center in Min closest to you. They then sit there until the USPS truck picks them up and takes them to your PO. If they leave at 4:00pm from Texas, they could be at the sorting center in Min. early the next morning.

Yes, you can get them in one day!

Last edited:
They go from the sorting center in Texas and Airborne flies them to Min. They sit there until taken to the center in Min closest to you. They then sit there until the USPS truck picks them up and takes them to your PO. If they leave at 4:00pm from Texas, they could be at the sorting center in Min. early the next morning.

Yes, you can get them in one day!
That's amazing! So I should call my local post office for tracking info. and see if I can pick them up at the sorting center in Minnesota when they arrive?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes!

I started a thread after I had a bunch of chicks died twice and several people posted that they do this all the time. There is an office there and you can ring a bell after hours.

A person here does this because they live in the foothills and there is only one truck that heads up there. If the chicks miss the truck, they have to sit in the Center for an extra day!

Just Do it! (Nike?)

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes!

I started a thread after I had a bunch of chicks died twice and several people posted that they do this all the time. There is an office there and you can ring a bell after hours.

A person here does this because they live in the foothills and there is only one truck that heads up there. If the chicks miss the truck, they have to sit in the Center for an extra day!

Just Do it! (Nike?)
Yup, that's me he's talking about. I always make the drive to the sort center to pick them up. You just need to enlist your local PO to call the sort center, have them find the box and bring it up to where you can collect it. The sort centers are HUGE warehouses.

The only time I lost a live bird shipment, the shipper didn't tell me they were coming and they spent that extra day down the hill. I had a box of 25 chicks arrive with only one barely alive.

Deb

Yes!

Just Do it! (Nike?)

We'll see. I really want to go pick them up, but I'm not sure I'll be able. I have classes on Thursday not to mention I hate driving in the cities. I hope I can figure something out, because an extra day is a lot to those little chicks. Thanks so much for the advice!

Last edited:
Ok I feel kinda dumb I bought a bag of feed a few days back , it smelled funny to me but I had never had that kind befor so I figured it was sapose to smell that way. My birds hate it and barely eat it. But again its new and my birds are picky. Well today it was really bothering me how it smelled so I looked all over the bag for the date and it was hard to understand but if any of those numbers are a date then tht bag was a use by in ether 2007 or 2011 ether way thats yucky. So I am takeing it back tomarow and I hope she will refund me so I can go buy there normal feed at the other place. So much with trying to buy from small busnesses. Dont they rotate there stock and check dates ?? Will my birds be ok they are haveing some loose stools but not to bad. It dosnt smell moldy and its not wet it just smell wrong like old flour or whatnot if you know what I mean

Last edited:
Yeah, I had a dozen BCM arrive, PO left them in the snow. Bottom two eggs were frozen, all the eggs felt so cold. 5 started to develop, 1 is still with us, will see in a week if it hatches.

Just ordered in some heat packs, both for eggs and for shipping out corn snakes this season (yes, I raise those, too). Ordered some foam shippers 3 weeks ago, but haven't heard a thing from the seller during that time.
somad.gif
Good thing I wasn't counting on them that week or anything. Sheesh. Sent out a "what's going on" email this week. Grumble.
My daughter has been wanting a corn snake. Thinking about getting her 1 for her birthday this year. Would be interested in seeing your price list if you could PM me with it
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom