4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch / December online hatching egg swap

Wow, really? He had offered to send me some eggs that I really wanted (to replace my hawk dinner chickens, who were my babies) at a really, really great price. I couldn't even afford that price at the time though, and couldn't take him up on it. For once, I'm glad I'm broke, because I certainly can't afford to send someone money for something that isn't going to hatch. :/

I've been dating everything that I toss in the incubator, but only with the date I've set them. Instead of putting everything spread out into all three trays, I just put the set date on the eggs so I could tell them apart and know which ones have to go to the hatching tray each time. Maybe when I start shipping eggs, I should write the dates on them as well, to help prevent this kind of thing?
What I have been doing is just setting eggs once a week. Anything I still have that hasn't shipped or been eaten by my children goes in my own bator. That way I know I never have any eggs in the house over a week old unless they are in the bator trying to hatch. I also mark my expected hatch date on each egg. Since I'm running staggered hatches it helps me keep track of when to put them all in lockdown. I have 1 bator full now all set to hatch right around Christmas, give or take a day or 2. I'll be cranking up another bator tonight or tomorrow for my NYD eggs. I have a total of 4 bators, so usually I use 1 as a hatcher & just move eggs to it at lockdown. Helps keep most of the bators relatively clean & just 1 dirty hatcher that way. When the hatcher starts to get too dirty I switch to using a different 1 so I can empty out the dirty one & clean it.

I only collect a few specific eggs for incubation. I've been doing leghorns, cornish cross and pekins from my own flock. Everything else is put into the fridge for consumption. We go through phases, where we won't eat eggs for awhile, then all of a sudden, we'll use up a dozen in one day. Since my hens are all either old or just starting to lay, I haven't been getting a good supply of eggs, so I never get overwhelmed. In fact, I haven't even been able to collect enough for my brother! Anyways, the incubator eggs are collected and set each week.

Before, when I was getting more eggs and wasn't sure what was what, I collected anything goofy looking (double yolkers and pullet eggs and such) for the fridge, but if anything was found out of the coop and there were questions as to whether or not it was laid that day, they went to the incubation collection tray. I was also keeping leghorn eggs for the incubation tray, and the questionable eggs were just "packing peanuts".

Once I update the flock, I'll probably just keep most for eating eggs, except the pekin and cornish cross eggs (to be raised for meat and pullets to sell at POL to help bring in some money).

So what you are saying, my eggs might have been already set? Does he own Marans???????
That was the theory that was relayed to me from watching what he had claimed & then was offering a couple weeks later. As far as I know, any Marans he has are still just chicks. His original flocks were Silkies, Cochins & Old English Game Bantams, all hatchery stock. He suddenly began offering a wide assortment of breeds that he had recently claimed from the threads. Add 2+2 & get 4. He apparently owes a crap load of Spring eggs as well.

I would tend to believe that. I'd be interested in knowing the e-bay username and the new ID here so I can avoid him since I already know his original ID. You can message me with it if you like. No sense in giving him more profit than he's already scammed us for.

I would tend to believe that. I'd be interested in knowing the e-bay username and the new ID here so I can avoid him since I already know his original ID. You can message me with it if you like. No sense in giving him more profit than he's already scammed us for.
Please message me as well. I must admit this is my first swap and now I am paranoid!!
Everything with this swap so far has gone swimmingly and I am grateful. I would like to participate in more swaps as time goes by and I would feel better prepared for what may happen. I didn't even bat an eye when I saw this swap, I thought more people would be like well... me, excited to hatch and be honest about the whole thing!

Please message me as well. I must admit this is my first swap and now I am paranoid!!
Everything with this swap so far has gone swimmingly and I am grateful. I would like to participate in more swaps as time goes by and I would feel better prepared for what may happen. I didn't even bat an eye when I saw this swap, I thought more people would be like well... me, excited to hatch and be honest about the whole thing!
The great majority of people on this site are "excited to hatch and (will) be honest about the whole thing!" No need to be paranoid if you use good common sense when swapping. Swapping is for fun. Don't swap for more than you are prepared to lose. 99.5% of the folks involved in swapping on these threads are good, honest people who will fulfill their end of the swap, though occasionally late due to life circumstances, so have patience with them and others will have patience with you. Do your homework - look through the swap thread and see who has been doing it awhile and has a good record. You will occasionally find GREAT stuff on the threads to swap for, but if it seems too good to be true, it probably is - especially if it is offered in excess.

Be very careful though...SWAPPING IS VERY ADDICTIVE!!!!
old.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom