~* 4th annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey/Chicken hatchathon! *~

I thought there was a time frame involved? Cause if not then I have chicken, goose, and Duck eggs in and Turkey eggs going in tonight courtesy of Feedman =)

Intending to hatch on or near Cinco de Mayo, so the set dates are different for each type of fowl. Please feel free to post and join in the discussion even if your eggs will be hatching a bit later due to a late set date. For me, it's just more fun to discuss hatching with other people also hatching, non-chicken people in my real life I know are tired of hearing about my chickens...

I set 12 shipped eggs, 9 of which are UofA blues, and 3 are F1 cross Olive Eggers (UofA blue cockerel over Crele Penedesenca). The brown eggs are a beautiful shade of brown.

I also set 16 of my own Olive Egger cross and 7 black Ameraucana eggs covered by a barred project EE cockerel. Many of my own eggs are actually on the older side so I am not anticipating the best hatch for those really but I figured it wouldn't hurt anything trying to hatch them. The Black Ameraucana is still a pullet, so the eggs are small.

X3 They all know I'm crazy.
I've considered going door to door and offering started pullets to my neighbors in hopes I create a few more chicken addicts
1f601.png

I think there is 3 of us that have 2 dozen cream legbar eggs set for this hatch in all different parts of the country. We"ll have to bet on who gets the most clb chicks.just fun. I shouldn't even think of this cause I always lose when I bet....I hope we all get great hatches.
and what about Ameraucana hatches. I have the crappy hatches on them. ON shipped eggs last year I'd be lucky if I got 3 chicks out of a dozen. Even on my on eggs the hatches were bad. Lots of un-fertile eggs does anyone else notice this?
Even the first set of turkey eggs I sat were un fertile. She was awfully early to set. I saw the Tom doing his deed too. Now he young , he won't be a year old until the end of May. I am hoping these I set will be fertile. will check soon. She has laid 5 more eggs in a nest out back. So have another chance....
Does anyone let there turkeys hatch their own eggs?
I did last year but she wasn't a very good mother and we have a lot of feral cats that like juicy young babies....
I had set 2 dozen shipped eggs for the Easter HAL and only got 2 chicks out of it. So, this time I am using my own, but I have not really confirmed fertility yet this year. I hope we all get better hatches. That first set was pretty early in the year and I suspect a lot of clears at that time. Last year I had about 75% on my own eggs. I had great luck with shipped quail eggs this year already though.

Intending to hatch on or near Cinco de Mayo, so the set dates are different for each type of fowl.  Please feel free to post and join in the discussion even if your eggs will be hatching a bit later due to a late set date.  For me, it's just more fun to discuss hatching with other people also hatching, non-chicken people in my real life I know are tired of hearing about my chickens...

Oh goody I love poultry talk and hatching.
Bantams set going into lockdown. And Turkey eggs going in :) so I have to set ducks too they take 28 days... But there's just enough room for 4 goose eggs so I should set those too......:)
That's spring right, especially in case of a broody =)

I've got bantam Cochin eggs in due April 29 courtesy of SueG =) a whole batch from all my ducks set for cinco de mayo and African goose eggs may 12 from my friendly neighbor =) oh and 2 Dominique eggs all the way from the east coast somewhere that a lovely BYCer brought me all the way from Nevada on her trip =) set for Apr 27

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom