~* 4th annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey/Chicken hatchathon! *~

It is only day 5 for my Red English Orpington eggs - I must admit I have peeked at one or two each night when I hand turn them in their egg carton
hide.gif
..last night I thought I saw one or two starting to develop, but it is too early to tell with these brown eggs. I totally agree about the silkies being SO easy to candle though! I think I saw mine on day 3 or 4 easily.

And of course...TODAY I got a call from a friend who wants me to hatch 2 dozen Midget White Turkey eggs for her!
th.gif
And another dozen of Royal Palm x Midget White eggs. So I will be hatching Turkeys after all...
yesss.gif
just several weeks behind you all.

Love to join we set 30 eggs in the incubator on the 15th. They are a barnyard mix of Golden Laced Banty's, Frizzle, and a couple of Polish. We also have a broody hen sitting on 8, don't count them in though. They only have a week left.

I almost lost about 90 eggs last night. The tray slipped when I pulled it out & I almost dropped the whole thing. I pulled it too far in the dark while trying to candle. Lost 2 eggs that crashed to the floor & glued 2 others that cracked. Pulled a stinker & 3-4 quitters (mostly from the same hen, so not sure if she's just too young & getting kinks worked out or what). Still over 100 eggs due 5/3-5/7. Hatched the first gosling of the season yesterday. Didn't have the brooder set up yet, so it spent the night in with the quail that. Hatched the past week. It was really cute. All the quail babies piled all over it snuggling it...lol

both my hen turkeys went to setting yesterday I think. one is in a pen. the other I need to build a fence around her. Work is never done.

miss Sweetgrass is in a old craftsman tool box on the ground in the front yard. She needs to be protected with a fence..

Miss Porter is up high in a pen.

If successful I'll have turkeys all over the place

It is only day 5 for my Red English Orpington eggs - I must admit I have peeked at one or two each night when I hand turn them in their egg carton
hide.gif
..last night I thought I saw one or two starting to develop, but it is too early to tell with these brown eggs. I totally agree about the silkies being SO easy to candle though! I think I saw mine on day 3 or 4 easily.

And of course...TODAY I got a call from a friend who wants me to hatch 2 dozen Midget White Turkey eggs for her!
th.gif
And another dozen of Royal Palm x Midget White eggs. So I will be hatching Turkeys after all...
yesss.gif
just several weeks behind you all.

I couldn't resist the urge either... I candled 4 of my shipped eggs and didn't see any development on day 3 but left them in because it was so early. Out of the 5 of my own eggs, I am pretty confident I saw development in all of them. I will check them all either on day 7 or day 10.

Pulled 3 clears from my duck set. 4 clears from the cochin set two from one of my goose sets and 1 clear and 2 rings if the Dominique eggs, too early to tell on the Turkey eggs and duck eggs set together.

both my hen turkeys went to setting yesterday I think. one is in a pen. the other I need to build a fence around her. Work is never done. miss Sweetgrass is in a old craftsman tool box on the ground in the front yard. She needs to be protected with a fence.. Miss Porter is up high in a pen. If successful I'll have turkeys all over the place
That tool box is the most awesome "hidden" nest ever!!!

I am out. My incubator spiked to 107 degrees!!!!! I am not about to wait the rest of the time to find out I have rotten poached eggs. That incubator is getting returned (it was a second test hatch on a new incubator, the first hatch was great though). What would cause a spike like that? I think the temp probe was touching the sponge in the bator and it may have affected the way the thermostat was reading (I didn't use sponges in the first hatch. Thoughts?

I am out. My incubator spiked to 107 degrees!!!!! I am not about to wait the rest of the time to find out I have rotten poached eggs. That incubator is getting returned (it was a second test hatch on a new incubator, the first hatch was great though). What would cause a spike like that? I think the temp probe was touching the sponge in the bator and it may have affected the way the thermostat was reading (I didn't use sponges in the first hatch. Thoughts? 

Are you sure you want to toss them? Do you you know how long it was that high? If it wasn't long they could still hatch the stronger ones. Good luck with whatever you decide. Hope your next hatch goes smoothly =)

Back
Top Bottom