4th of July Ayam Cemani Update

There's usually someone local on Craigslist that sells chicks or hatching eggs if you're not looking for anything more than backyard quality AC's. I raised them for a few years and the novelty wears off after a while, then you have beautiful chickens who scare anyone who comes to visit. If they laid larger eggs with greater frequency, I'd have kept them as eggers. Great, friendly birds with a fairly calm demeanor.
No one local has them in our area, only traditional varieties (and almost all mutts). I didn’t want a whole bunch of them, just a few to breed into an EE and project.

Good going. A lot of the light color on the toes will disappear as they grow.
Cool! Thanks for that info. I'm excited to see them change over time. There is only one with color on its toes; the rest appear to be all black with some lighter fluff on their butts. There is one that is 100% dark, with dark fluff butt feathers too.

First time hatching and keeping the breed. They are adorable, very inquisitive, and very friendly so far.

Diablo has the yellow toes 😁. Other 3 are Mephisto, Adria, and Azmodan. Will put bands on them when they grow a bit.

Know it is not ideal to have any color on them but it happens. I’m not showing them, but do plan on doing a breeding project with my Ameraucanas. They should make cool EEs.
Do you know where I can get some ayam cemani fertile eggs, I have been endlessly searching for them and can't seem to find any here in Australia.

Updated pics. It was super humid today and the lens kept fogging up. They are so cute! Today was brooder sanitizing day, so a great time to grab some pics. :)

Attachments

• image10 (1).jpeg
    image10 (1).jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image9 (1).jpeg
    image9 (1).jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image8 (1).jpeg
    image8 (1).jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image7 (1).jpeg
    image7 (1).jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image6 (1).jpeg
    image6 (1).jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image5 (2).jpeg
    image5 (2).jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image4 (2).jpeg
    image4 (2).jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image3 (5).jpeg
    image3 (5).jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image2 (6).jpeg
    image2 (6).jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image1 (9).jpeg
    image1 (9).jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image0 (15).jpeg
    image0 (15).jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 4
I think they are too light colored to be pure Ayam cemani.
Maybe. We'll see as they grow how they turn out. I've noticed with chickens when they're young, that they turn out differently when they're fully mature. I had someone tell me on the forum that my Ameraucana chicks (pure) looked like they came from crappy breeding stock, and most of them turned out gorgeous as sub adults. Either way, Cemani was originally sourced from multiple breeds to create it originally (Ayam Bekisar and Jungle Fowl). However....if you like at where I got them from and Greenfire Farms, my chicks look almost identical to Greenfire.

Where I got mine from: https://hilltopfarmspoultry.com/shop/ayam-cemani
Where a lot of folks get theirs from: https://greenfirefarms.com/images/CMN chick.jpg

Anywho, I'll keep everyone posted on how they continue to grow! :)

Back
Top Bottom