4wo chicks and brooder seems small now...they're getting antsy!

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Hello! We have 5 4wo chicks and they are antsy in their brooder. I've been taking them outside a few times a day but it's a little chilly and rainy here so just short excursions. I set up an over 2 ft walled cardboard box for them to run around in but they can fly up a LOT higher than that already (except for the poor silkie, so they all fly out and she stays in yelling.) They're just constantly yelling to get out and I feel bad (except they do sleep well!) They have roosts, a little mirror, constantly clean/dry bedding, grit and some crushed dried corn to scratch for. I put grass/dust/dirt in for them to play in. At this point not sure what to do because I don't want to buy a bigger brooder just to have them leave in 2 weeks. One just flew on top of my computer as I'm writing this. :rolleyes: I'd love any tips!

Yeah. If you have an enclosed space outside with a roof (to keep them safe from predators) let them out there for a few hours every day (whether providing) . If it's chilly also bring their heater out, +food and water. They love it!

x2. Just as a comparison, my 4 week old chicks are off heat, sleeping in the coop, and have been in and out of the rain today at their own choosing.

Good to know! Looks like you're also in the PNW. We had purchased a prefab coop which will be big enough for...hardly any time. We're planning to build one but I saw you mentioned you had help with construction, is that right? Where in PNW?

We had purchased a prefab coop which will be big enough for...hardly any time. We're planning to build one but I saw you mentioned you had help with construction, is that right? Where in PNW?

We got by with a prefab for 2 years (which didn't work out too bad actually, the chickens had no complaints) but we'd decided that once we wanted more birds, we'd have a "real" coop.

Below: old coop on right, new coop on left.

coopold.jpg

I had more than a little help with construction - I hired a shed company. Not ashamed to say I'm not a builder and would rather pay someone for their expertise in making a stable structure.

I'm in Puget Sound area.

We got by with a prefab for 2 years (which didn't work out too bad actually, the chickens had no complaints) but we'd decided that once we wanted more birds, we'd have a "real" coop.

Below: old coop on right, new coop on left.
View attachment 2192224

I had more than a little help with construction - I hired a shed company. Not ashamed to say I'm not a builder and would rather pay someone for their expertise in making a stable structure.

I'm in Puget Sound area.

Oh that's awesome, the new coop looks great! I'm south of Seattle - if the shed company is still making them I'd love their contact info.

Back
Top Bottom