4x6 Coop with a 4x8 Run…How many chickens can I add??

AimeeJohn47

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on how many chickens I can add to my new coop. I currently have 6 bantams who have lived very comfortably in a small 2x3 coop with a 3x3 run. My ladies are let out to "free range" for many hours each day. I've just upgraded to a 4x6 coop with a 4x8 run and I'm worried that its way too roomy for them so I want to add some more chickens so that they remain nice and cozy at night and in the cold winters. How many chickens do you think I can add? In particular, I wanted to add regular size chickens this time. I'm thinking 3-4 RI Reds? Would that be too many?

8 bantams would probably be very comfortable in that space. Base your available space on the coop alone. Imagine the depths of winter where the birds do not leqve the coop for a few weeks at a time, more than that and imagine they would start to get on top of each other.

And, you cant have a "too roomy", more space the better.

my coop is that size only my run is much larger. I keep 4 large chickens in it with no problems. Even during winter when they get "snowed" in for a few days.

I have a 4 x 6 coop with a 10 x 10 run and free ranch when I'm home. I want to add more. All hens so with that how many more can be added while keeping them happy?

Shedvll73: In that size set up, I wouldn't have more than 6 hens. UNLESS, you are able to let them free range all day, every day... or unless your run is covered, and somewhat protected from driving rains on the side.

Ya there run is open and covered to protect from flying predictors when they arrive. And free range all day. I mainly thought about like 8 or 9. I have 5 hen boxes but room for 3 more and I've added 2 more roosts. There seems like plenty of room for a few more.

Back
Top Bottom