4x8 Coop: What do you think?

My husband also vetoed an open side. But he agreed to a side door to be left open 24/7 while we have chickens here. It will make the shed more usable as a shed someday or the door can be left closed and it would be difficultcto know it is there.

I like my little window choice, also. I had the builder leave an open space. They are covered by only metal lath (hardware cloth would work) for spring, summer, and fall. In the winter, I planned to add "barn windows". These are simple, single pane fixed windows that cost about $25 each when new (as opposed to the least expensive new alternative I could find - $90 for cheap looking windows.) They are available across the US in big box stores (home depot, lowes, menards). I do't know if they are available in Canada though, sorry.

I said "planned to" because I found old windows that I fixed up and used instead.

Will the ridge vent work even with snow/ice?
Yes. If you get the kind designed for snow country which has a rigid frame. The cheaper, squishy, mostly foam kind doesn't.

Even the kind designed for snow will allow less air movement when covered with snow. It will allow enough to keep attics properly ventilated; not enough for chickens by itself.

Snow doesn't stay on metal roofs nearly as much as shingled roofs. That will help some. And even around here, people often have snow rakes for clearing snow off their houses and other buildings.

The op's high winds will also keep it mostly clear.

Last edited:
Yes. If you get the kind designed for snow country which has a rigid frame. The cheaper, squishy, mostly foam kind doesn't.

Even the kind designed for snow will allow less air movement when covered with snow. It will allow enough to keep attics properly ventilated; not enough for chickens by itself.

Snow doesn't stay on metal roofs nearly as much as shingled roofs. That will help some. And even around here, people often have snow rakes for clearing snow off their houses and other buildings.

The op's high winds will also keep it mostly clear.
Good to know!

Mine gets snowed over which is why I was curious, though we don't get that much snow so no special provisions are made for it. But we added a lot of extra ventilation in the coop so a snowed over ridge vent isn't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom