4yr old black rock wont stand, eat or drink urgent help needed

Black Rock mum

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
We have 4 chickens 2 1 yr olds and 2 4yr olds, 1 of the 4 yr olds wont stand, drink, or eat just slumped in nest box, no sign of injury others seem fine, she looks in good condition weight feather wise, but is obviously in distress haven't noticed any nasty poos has any body got any ideas on how to treat her as she is a much loved family pet. At the moment we have her in a cardboard box with straw within the chicken pound (moved her from the nest box as she has been pooed on by the others) comb colour seems fine.

Sorry, I am not sure, but until someone else comes along my advice is to try to get her to drink. Maybe put her favorite snack in water.
Good Luck!

Thanks, we've been trying to get her to drink or eat but with no luck. She seems to be going downhill rapidly.

We've separated her from the other chickens and got her in a box with straw and food and drink in easy reach.

Start with the easiest things to check for - lice/mites. Look VERY carefully especially around the vent. If that's not it - then absent any other symptoms from what you've described - I would go ahead and treat her for worms. Use Valbazen if you have it as it's a good broad-spectrum wormer. You'll want to worm all your chickens. Then repeat in 10 days. It sounds like she's in need of immediate treatment.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Sadly, she died before we could worm her. I've wormed the other chickens just to be on the safe side.

I checked her vent for lice and mites and everything seemed to be fine. I also checked for impacted crop and couldn't feel anything either.

Thanks again for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom