4 month old silkie hen lethargic not eating or drinking

Alilinn

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2023
My 4 month old silkie hen is puffed up, sitting in one spot for two days now, not eating or drinking and has watery poop.
She hasn’t started laying yet, and when I put water up to her beak she’ll take drinks.
Her balance seems okay but I haven’t seen her walk. She just stands, and will still preen herself just fine.
I offered her scrambled egg and cottage cheese as well as her normal feed and she hasn’t eaten.
There’s no blood in her poop, just watery with white clumps.
I checked her all over for injury, her feet look great, and crop feels empty.
I’m stumped.
My other 22 chickens are completely fine.
I separated her and brought her in yesterday and honestly didn’t think she’d make it through the night.
At first I thought she was cold, we had a big wether change into the low 30’s.
But being inside hasn’t improved.
Any idea on what the problem could be?

My 4 month old silkie hen is puffed up, sitting in one spot for two days now, not eating or drinking and has watery poop.
She hasn’t started laying yet, and when I put water up to her beak she’ll take drinks.
Her balance seems okay but I haven’t seen her walk. She just stands, and will still preen herself just fine.
I offered her scrambled egg and cottage cheese as well as her normal feed and she hasn’t eaten.
There’s no blood in her poop, just watery with white clumps.
I checked her all over for injury, her feet look great, and crop feels empty.
I’m stumped.
My other 22 chickens are completely fine.
I separated her and brought her in yesterday and honestly didn’t think she’d make it through the night.
At first I thought she was cold, we had a big wether change into the low 30’s.
But being inside hasn’t improved.
Any idea on what the problem could be?
make sure she eats and drinks. Is there green in her poop?
How is her place in the pecking order?
I would force feed her some food, either her wet food or some scrambled eggsc I would also give her some water from a syringe if she doesn’t want to drink any water herself. If she doesn’t want to swallow I would just tap the side of her been gently,that usually makes my hens swallow water if they are sick😊
How long has she been acting like this?

I would force feed her some food, either her wet food or some scrambled eggsc I would also give her some water from a syringe if she doesn’t want to drink any water herself. If she doesn’t want to swallow I would just tap the side of her been gently,that usually makes my hens swallow water if they are sick😊
Also sorry to make her walk just a bit to see if she will, you can just give her a little push very gently just to make her take a step or two. How is her crop? Does it empty? Does she smell sour out of her mouth?

Is her crop emptying overnight? How does it feel right now? You could always start some Corid, just in case it may be coccidiosis. If she won’t eat for you, I would probably do that. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon (or 1/2 tsp per quart) of water for 5 days. She needs to be fed if she isn’t drinking. Pictures of droppings are good to post.

She’s pretty low in the pecking order, they were combined with my older girls about a month ago, but she is my young Roos favorite so she doesn’t really get picked on.
This is day two. However I just came down to check on her and she took a completely normal solid poop in her crate, she had cottage cheese on her beak and had eaten all her pellets. This is a HUGE improvement.
She was even scratching and the bottom while eating. I’m doing to keep her in here at lease until tomorrow to keep an eye on her poop and food intake.

Is her crop emptying overnight? How does it feel right now? You could always start some Corid, just in case it may be coccidiosis. If she won’t eat for you, I would probably do that. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon (or 1/2 tsp per quart) of water for 5 days. She needs to be fed if she isn’t drinking. Pictures of droppings are good to post.
About an hour ago it felt empty. But I just came down to check on her and she ate all her pellets and some cottage cheese. I’m waiting to see if I can see her drink, but she did take a solid completely normal poop.
I’ll monitor her at least until tomorrow before I take her back to the flock.

About an hour ago it felt empty. But I just came down to check on her and she ate all her pellets and some cottage cheese. I’m waiting to see if I can see her drink, but she did take a solid completely normal poop.
I’ll monitor her at least until tomorrow before I take her back to the flock.
That’s great to hear, mabye she just needed a little break to relax. I have had the exact same experience with one of my hens who was low in the pecking order, keep an eye on her and when you put her back into the flock make sure she still eats😊

That’s great to hear, mabye she just needed a little break to relax. I have had the exact same experience with one of my hens who was low in the pecking order, keep an eye on her and when you put her back into the flock make sure she still eats😊
Thanks so much! This is encouraging! I’ve been so worried.

Back
Top Bottom