5/21/10 Update~Chicks have arrived! New pictures on page 3!

ponygal12

Songster
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
New Hampshire
Alright, are chicks are coming tomorrow!
celebrate.gif
I have some quick questions before they come. Should I give them sugar water the first day? If so, what's the ratio for the sugar and water? Should I put a stuffed animal in the brooder? Here are some pictures of my homemade brooder.

This is the larger wooden box that the chicks will go in when they're bigger. Inside, we have a smaller dog house for now
45157_brooder_006.jpg

Overview of brooder, still have to add bedding, food and water
45157_brooder_002.jpg

Since it is a doghouse, their was an opening. I boarded it up so the chicks can't escape or get stuck. The yellowly bottom part below the other boards is actually a board, not a whole. Does it look okak?
45157_brooder_004.jpg

I have more pictures if needed! Does everything look okay?
hu.gif
Any suggestions? Help would be greatly appreaciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
i don't know anything but it looks fine to me. my only advice is to pay attention to their behavior because my chicks hated it when it was the "right" temperature and they seemed to prefer it much colder then they should.

also, don't expect to get anything done the first week except stare at your chicks. they are impossibly cute.

are you going to put them on paper towels in there?

Yeah, I planned on putting pine shavings in for padding and then paper towels on top so they don't eat the shavings. Do you know anything about the sugar water?

i believe i read that sugar water is not necessary but i am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. i didn't do sugar water with mine, just fresh water right away and they had food available as well.

Others may chime in here- but I didn't use sugar water unless it was needed. In which the case it was needed it was only for one chick, so I made it for that one separately. I did like a couple tablespoons in a quart, I was going to make a gallon.. but I didn't need it. I don't know the exact equation.. The chick perked up- and it doing well now, so I did something right. I just didn't see the need it giving it to them if they were drinking regular water and doing just fine with it! Anyways.. everything else looks good! Except (other than putting down paper towels- the bottom of that would be too slippy, and not have enough traction)- I don't see a thermometer. You may want to turn the lamp on, and put a thermometer in there tonight. Adjust it to where it will be around 95 degrees in the warmest spot- and then have cooler spots to where they chicks can get to if they get too hot. I'm not even kidding when I say I played around with my brooder lamp for a week before my first set of chicks (ever!) arrived! I wanted it to be just perfect. The chicks will be the best judge of if its too hot/cold- but a thermometer will let you know which way it is!

I have heard that you should give them warm water, not cold, as they could get chilled from too much cold water. I'd only do the sugar if they look lethargic. Also, how many chicks are you getting?? I'll be getting my 1st babies in June, & I can't wait!!! Good luck & keep us posted!
woot.gif

If you are getting several chicks, you won't need a stuffed animal in with them. They'll have each other. I only use a stuffed animal or feather duster when there are less than 4 chicks. I don't think it was needed when I put it with my 3, but I kinda liked watching them play in and around the feather duster....

My chicks came on Monday. I gave them sugar water for the rest of the day then changed it to the vitamin water that was mixed from a package the hatchery sent. I used one teaspoon of sugar per quart for each waterer. They must still have a "sugar high" as they are running around like crazy. I think I'll need a bigger brooder sooner than expected.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom