5 (4 week old) chicks fell out of package during shipment

Shellebelle920

Songster
Feb 10, 2019
Southwestern Pennsylvania
I received my package yesterday of 5 four-week old silkie chicks yesterday. However, I had ordered 10. The breeder is a very well-known silkie breeder and has I’m sure shipped thousands of chicks throughout her chicken days. The 5 that did arrive were stunning and healthy and looked great despite the 60 hour journey. However, I can’t help but wonder where those other 5 chicks are. The breeder thinks someone at USPS might have stolen them, but the more I look at the box, the more I think the box got wet, tape came loose and a gap big enough for four week old chicks formed, and they fell out. I’m holding out eternal hope that someone at USPS is taking care of them until they find me, but my brain knows that is very likely not the case. I filed a claim with USPS. So I guess this is just a cautionary tale to reinforce those box bottoms when shipping birds to avoid situations like this. It’s a total bummer.
79FF70AB-9DE7-4C6D-8771-6671A8CDF2CD.jpeg
View of the short side bottom
24E3A6CA-68EB-4843-B020-94FB456DD1CF.jpeg
view of the long side bottom where tape was messed up.
849F9C3B-E676-49AB-9C3C-0CAC1B306092.jpeg
View of the bottom gap where I believe the chicks fell out.
219A2CB3-611B-44D3-9157-61628A2B1BD9.jpeg
Pic of the “survivors”... perfection!

Hmm, that's weird... Yes, I think that was a good idea to file a claim with USPS, What gets me mad is that they seem to not care if the box has LIVE ANIMAL stickers on it, and they do, well, what they did to your box of chicks. But other than that, be glad that you still have some beautiful silkies! :highfive:

Hmm, that's weird... Yes, I think that was a good idea to file a claim with USPS, What gets me mad is that they seem to not care if the box has LIVE ANIMAL stickers on it, and they do, well, what they did to your box of chicks. But other than that, be glad that you still have some beautiful silkies! :highfive:
It sure is weird! But I am very thankful that I still got 5 beautiful silkies. I have no clue how USPS treats live birds (although I’ve read that most really do try to take care), but I feel like they had the package on its side and other packages stacked on top to allow the bottom to squeeze open. It just stinks when it’s your own.

Back
Top Bottom