5.5 days until chicken pickup

I'm so excited, I cannot wait! I'm going to put a chair in there so I can just hang out with them while they get settled. I hope they love me, even if it's just for treats LOL.

I kind of hope something tries to dig, because if anything can get through our dirt I'd like to know how.
Good idea with the chair! For the first few days just sit and talk to them. Go easy on treats, but those are a good way to train them. Scatter a small amount when you come to sit with them, everyday put the treats a little closer to your chair, this will encourage them to come nearer, you will eventually get them eating out of your hand. Don't try to rush petting them, take it slow (it's soooooo tempting-I know you want to feel those feathers:)) Once they are eating out of your hand, you can start letting your fingers lightly brush their breast or wings, don't go for the back. Everything takes time and patience. Something to remember, each bird is an individual some like the extra attention and may want to be pet/cuddled, while others are just as happy to eat out of your hand. I let mine decide, I have one in particular that will stalk me until I pick her up for a chat.

I do handle all my birds at least a couple of times a month for inspection of feet and for lice/mites, etc.

I would just keep them in the coop/run set up for a couple of days. Just give them clean water and layer feed for at least a week. No need to start doctoring them.

Put some clutter in the run, add a roost out there, a mini wall, a platform. This allows birds to get up and down, and away from each other. Makes use of the vertical space, and will actually give them more space within the run.

Mrs K

Old thread alert... @citykitty how is chickeneering working out for you?

I freaking love it! I love my chickens so much, they are so silly and sweet and funny. I affectionately call them my ding-dongs. I am planning on getting some Silkies in the spring.

Pearl says hello.

Attachments

• IMG_20181016_172007373.jpg
    IMG_20181016_172007373.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom