5.5 week old Cornish X - feed options?

ImportTheBest

Songster
8 Years
May 5, 2012
Lex, KY
I have had my Cornish X birds (8 total) on the Nutrena Nature Wise Start/Grower at 18% protein since the day they arrived, as they shared a pen with the layers that they arrived with. Today the layers were moved to their own pen and so for their last 2.5 weeks or so...

Do I keep these meaties on 18% starter/grower or do I switch to the only broiler feed I have found in the area? The broiler feed is 20% protein.

At the last weigh in they were gaining well and about on par with the Welp chart. A few lower and a few higher, but averaged weight was spot on basically.

If you have no other use for the existing feed that you have, then I'd finish that before getting the broiler feed. Otherwise,then I'd get the broiler feed.

If you have no other use for the existing feed that you have, then I'd finish that before getting the broiler feed. Otherwise,then I'd get the broiler feed.

I have 5.5 and 1.5 week old layers that I'll keep using the starter / grower on, so that's no worry. But thanks, I'll grab the broiler feed while I'm out today!

Last edited:
Any extra protein would be a bonus to their growth. If the cost is much more just stick with the 18% non medicated. Broiler feed I've seen as high as 24% and all that means is you'd be at target weight a week or so earlier. The higher the protein the faster the growth and if growing too fast people finish them on 18% or lower to prevent health issues and hold them over to a set slaughter date.

Many of us use a higher protein for dual purpose type birds. If there is no added cost for 20% protein you could switch all your birds over to it for ease then when meat birds are in freezer go back to 18% for layers and oyster shell free choice for calcium when they start to lay eggs.

Last edited:
They should go through that whole bag of feed before DDay, so I don't mind grabbing that today. And if they don't I'll mix bits in with the other chick feed each time I fill the feeder until it's gone, so that's not a worry! If they finish it before then, then I'll just finish them on started /grower. I don't really want to speed them up too much as I have to book the processor two weeks in advance! So that will be done next week if by Monday they are still on track with Welp.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom