5.5 weeks... watcha think?

:he:old
I would say pullet for them both. Seeing some tail feathers in the brahma would certainly help though.

Them ‘rooster tail feathers’ also known as saddle feathers don’t develop until the chicken is at least five months of age. And this is a Brahma that we are talking about, which should take even longer

:he:gig

:he:old

Them ‘rooster tail feathers’ also known as saddle feathers don’t develop until the chicken is at least five months of age. And this is a Brahma that we are talking about, which should take even longer

:he:gig

Oh dear, what on earth is the dear? Pullet, cockerel....

She is really shy if that helps. Always runs away from me, and very light to pick up.

Ok, will do! How old is maturity? Once they crow or lay?

Usually they mature within 16-24 weeks of age although your Brahma willl take up to 2 years to fully mature, if you have a Brahma hen it should begin laying within 25-28 weeks of age. If you have a rooster it should begin crowing within 4,5,6 months of age.

Oh wow looks like we’ll be waiting awhile!

For our other 3 guaranteed cockerels (the GLW, BR and Lav Orp) do you recommend just advertising them for $10 if people want to eat them or free if they will have a good home?

Oh wow looks like we’ll be waiting awhile!

For our other 3 guaranteed cockerels (the GLW, BR and Lav Orp) do you recommend just advertising them for $10 if people want to eat them or free if they will have a good home?

Wait another 5 weeks, you never know. Some of them could just be fast developing pullets. You can never be 100% accurate by looking at the comb and wattles. Time will tell :thumbsup

This was my GLW pullet at 5 weeks. I thought she was a roo for a while. If I remember correctly she had larger wattles earlier than my other breeds. I wouldn’t give up on the barred rock yet. At 5 weeks they are all awkward looking.
upload_2018-5-21_20-39-19.jpeg

upload_2018-5-21_20-39-19.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom