$5 a gallon of gas rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Yes we are, but no where close to the area that we can be. Open all of Alaska as well as the Gulf, our dependency on other nations has got to stop!

There are more concerns then just putting a drill in the ground. I work in oil and you can not just start putting holes in the ground! There is a lot of drilling right now in Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado. What we need is more refineries.

We do not need more refineries.

How about wind power.

Or solar?

Or wave?

Or... anything that will relieve us if our dependency on fossil fuels, which in our life time will run out.

Quote:
There are more concerns then just putting a drill in the ground. I work in oil and you can not just start putting holes in the ground! There is a lot of drilling right now in Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado. What we need is more refineries.

We do not need more refineries.

How about wind power.

Or solar?

Or wave?

Or... anything that will relieve us if our dependency on fossil fuels, which in our life time will run out.

The oil deposits in our country will NOT run out in our lifetime. And until it is cost effective, solar and wind power will play second fiddle to oil. I have been researching residential wind power for my home, the cost is outrageous. I could not have it pay off until after I die. Geo thermal is much more cost effective, but only so if you are building a new home.
We as a nation are not prepared to just stop using oil. It is a process which we are working toward. In the mean time we need to use our own resources and cut the ties to the Middle East supplies.

Last edited:
Quote:
World oil cost suddenly went up after the election to $80/barrel, gee I wonder why? The Oil party wins and prices go up. But that's my RANT.
he.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

According to Paul Krugman world commodity prices are starting to rise because the rest of the world economy is recovering, because they have our American "JOBS", jobs which were not outsourced, the jobs were eliminated.
somad.gif
. American companies exported their pollution costs.

Iran has trouble refining enough gasoline for their own people because of the U.S. embargo so they buy on the open market which drives prices up but they have no control over the world price of oil. Oil is a commodity and is market driven.
That said if Iran and Iraq were able to produce at full capacity there would be a market glut.

According to Krugman :
"for example, who is that mystery investor who has bought up much of the world’s copper supply?"
Why are cotton futures up when the U.S. subsidizes cotton prices
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif

So drive as little as possible and buy "Made In America".
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I know why----when the economy tanked, the profit mongers held their breath. The government claimed recovery and people went back to spending for the holiday season------so the profit mongers, said business as usual, let's charge what the market will bear.
I've seen this before, the Oil shut off by OPEC in 1974 caused people to reduce spending, alternative energy/fuel sources were being researched and developed. OPEC said to themselves "Oh S***" and dropped the price of crude for long enough that all the alternatives became uneconomic and were dropped until the present when again we're developing alternative energy/fuel sources---but this time they've learned and have the powers that be part of the profit mongers themselves. That's why the price of everything will continue to go up until everyone joins the ranks of serfdom. I enjoy my wood heat and garden and chickens, now if I can only keep the property taxes from stealing everything I've worked for. Join the revolution, buy nothing, you don't have too.

Ditto...x2, they'll eventually raise property taxes too... instead of cutting waste, fraud and abuse.

Well... you could always just try to drive less.

I have to agree with that 100%. That is the only message we as a group can send - use less. Why do you think gas spikes and then goes back down? When it hits a certain point the useage drops and it starts to back up in the pipelines etc. It's hard to stop the flow in a pipeline, super tankers cost alot of money and don't make any sitting in port, refineries the same thing. They keep saying that China and India is using it all. I'm not a big oil baron but if I can sell gas in the USA at $3 a gallon and only .50 cents per in China and it costs me the same price to get it out of the ground I know where i'm going to sell it at.

Steve​

Quote:
Solar hot water is affordable now. Solar electricity is affordable if you plan to stay in your home for 7-10 years. It pays to re-insulate, chalk windows, doors, especially around electrical outlets on outside walls, lamps hanging from ceilings, outside on siding.

As for oil consumption the U.S. has 3% of the world population but the U.S. uses 25% of the worlds oil production.
sad.png

been payin over $3 a gal for a while... though we both drive diesel trucks here. Plus 2 diesel tractors. Eventually will convert everything over to bio diesel, soon as we get the still up n runnin.

We try to drive as little as possible, but running a farm, with two herds 20 miles apart...
barnie.gif
I'll be glad when spring gets here and they're all back up here in one place
ya.gif

I do completely agree with using as little as we have to. The less demand, the better, imo. We'll still be dependant for some time to come, but the more we are able to be independant of that, the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Solar hot water is affordable now. Solar electricity is affordable if you plan to stay in your home for 7-10 years. It pays to re-insulate, chalk windows, doors, especially around electrical outlets on outside walls, lamps hanging from ceilings, outside on siding.

As for oil consumption the U.S. has 3% of the world population but the U.S. uses 25% of the worlds oil production.
sad.png

I supose solar is cost effctive in NM, it is not in Northeastern MT. The rest of your comment is very true, do what you can to conserve energy around you home.

Quote:
Property taxes go up because other revenue sources such as sale taxes go down. The more we cut back the less revenue there is for local government. Get ready for cut backs in police, fire protection and education.

There are 2.5 Billion Chinese and Indians and soon they will produce enough college grads to equal the total population of the U.S. That alone should cause Americans to wake up and stop giving tax breaks to American companies to continue to eliminate American jobs.
rant.gif
somad.gif

Quote:
What is amazing is the vast number of homes that don't even have solar hot water. When oil hit $140/barrel many people were paying $500-$800 a month for propane.
sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom