5 Ameraucana's Hens-1.5 yrs old,2 months after moult,NO EGGS!Plz Help!

The lump you feel that disappears is probably the crop as it fills up and then digests. My EE (of course I'm assuming you have an EE) has not layed since September when she started her molt. Her molt is finished but her comb is still pink and does not look at all like she is even ready to start laying again. What does her comb look like? Is it bright red or more dull looking? I have read on BYC of others who's EE's don't lay at all during the winter. I also have a cochin who has not started laying after her molt. My other 5 girls (all differnet breeds) are just starting to lay again. I live in California so I don't know that it has to do with the region. My hens are all about 14 months old.
Cathryn

Quote:
So both our hens are about the same age and ameraucana's are basically EE's.... I'll go check their combs...

Yes, they laid all last winter, spring and summer, but not this fall-winter. And
idunno.gif
'bout the saying...

Chicken.Lytle :

Are they even old enough to lay? My flock is a random mix of breeds and not even the sex links were laying at one month -- it was more like 5-6. Also, the molt will make a dent in their available energy.

I read something on BYC about the number of fingers you can fit between their legs -- two for no eggs, three for a layer. Is that true? Did I remember accurately?

That's what I was going to say, but think the OP meant they were 1 year and 5 months old (as in 17 months old). That confused me, too.

How's the weather? If it is cold and dark most of the time (less than 12 hours of sunlight a day) then that could affect their laying.​

Tempurature- Max: 40, Low:10, Coop: 25-35
Weather- Occasionaly snow shower, not much rain
Daylight: About 11 hrs of Regular sun-light, about 2/3 hours of artificial; total of 13/14 hours

When you say "half are dull, half are bright" do you mean half the flock or half of one hens comb? If they are dull they definitely won't be laying. When my hens are laying their combs are a very bright red. So bright that when my first hen came into laying I became concerned about it and asked on BYC if there was something wrong with her!
smile.png

Anyway, like I said, other people on BYC have said they don't expect any eggs from their EE's through the winter so I will be surprised if mine lays any at all until the sun is more consistent and it warms up some. Maybe look up the EE thread on BYC and see if others are talking about it right now. Or do a search of EE's not laying and see if anyone's posted about it lately.
Cathryn

Back
Top Bottom