5 day old chick in dire need.

TheRoths

Hatching
Jul 19, 2016
Hello everyone,

A horrible first post but I need some help.
One of my 5 day old chicks needs to be culled and I do not know the best way to go about it. Can anyone offer advice please? It sounds terrible, but I am wondering if I should drown it. To explain...

Last night we noticed that this chick head was turned to the right and could only move (quite fast) in right directional circles before landing in a heap. Each time he got up, the same thing happened. A restless night ensued, he will not drink (even from a dropper) or eat, he wont open his eyes, yet he is still alive. We have ruled out Newcastle's etc by reading symptoms online etc. I think maybe he has damaged/broken a vertebrae or had a stroke?

His neck is completely curled under his body when you pick him up, yet he is not limp. He no longer can stand, so when he tries to he just spins on the floor flapping his wings. This chick is going to die of dehydration/exhaustion etc, I have no idea how much pain he is in and I think he is best put out of his misery. Trouble is I am home alone until at least 6pm. I killed an adult rooster once by axe and that was unpleasant but went fine. I am not sure I can get my fingers in there to hold a tiny neck for the axe without jeopardizing my digits. This is why I am considering drowning even though I am not sure I can do it!

Any suggestions for humanely dispatching this poor thing would be gratefully received. Or indeed, if anyone knows what may be wrong with him and can help me heal him all the better. Waiting until 6pm for an extra set of hands just seems cruel.

Many thanks.

I don't know that drowning comes anywhere close to a humane means of dispatch. It's small @ 5 days old, use a sharp knife (make sure it's sharp) and decapitate it. Don't saw at it - one quick slice will do the trick. It will be instant.

Hello everyone,

A horrible first post but I need some help.
One of my 5 day old chicks needs to be culled and I do not know the best way to go about it. Can anyone offer advice please? It sounds terrible, but I am wondering if I should drown it. To explain...

Last night we noticed that this chick head was turned to the right and could only move (quite fast) in right directional circles before landing in a heap. Each time he got up, the same thing happened. A restless night ensued, he will not drink (even from a dropper) or eat, he wont open his eyes, yet he is still alive. We have ruled out Newcastle's etc by reading symptoms online etc. I think maybe he has damaged/broken a vertebrae or had a stroke?

His neck is completely curled under his body when you pick him up, yet he is not limp. He no longer can stand, so when he tries to he just spins on the floor flapping his wings. This chick is going to die of dehydration/exhaustion etc, I have no idea how much pain he is in and I think he is best put out of his misery. Trouble is I am home alone until at least 6pm. I killed an adult rooster once by axe and that was unpleasant but went fine. I am not sure I can get my fingers in there to hold a tiny neck for the axe without jeopardizing my digits. This is why I am considering drowning even though I am not sure I can do it!

Any suggestions for humanely dispatching this poor thing would be gratefully received. Or indeed, if anyone knows what may be wrong with him and can help me heal him all the better. Waiting until 6pm for an extra set of hands just seems cruel.

Many thanks.
You poor thing....Welcome to BYC....just use a knife and help that poor thing quickly.

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you both very much for your replies. I don't actually think I could have drowned him even if that was the only way to go... nothing felt good about this earlier and I guess I was just going into panic mode.

I have managed to get him to drink some poultry nutra-drench via a dropper over the last couple of hours and he already seems stronger for it. ( I hope I am not being delusional) I am going to do this with him every half hour or so through the night and see how he is in the morning. I will also try and find an avian vet that is willing to talk to me over the phone as I haven't found one within 100 miles of us so far.

If all else fails, I guess we will dispatch him some time tomorrow unless there is further marked improvement.

Again, thank you for the replies, It is so helpful to be able to talk about this.

Best wishes from the Roths

Thank you both very much for your replies. I don't actually think I could have drowned him even if that was the only way to go... nothing felt good about this earlier and I guess I was just going into panic mode.

I have managed to get him to drink some poultry nutra-drench via a dropper over the last couple of hours and he already seems stronger for it. ( I hope I am not being delusional) I am going to do this with him every half hour or so through the night and see how he is in the morning. I will also try and find an avian vet that is willing to talk to me over the phone as I haven't found one within 100 miles of us so far.

If all else fails, I guess we will dispatch him some time tomorrow unless there is further marked improvement.

Again, thank you for the replies, It is so helpful to be able to talk about this.

Best wishes from the Roths

O good..if the nutra drench is helping he might be ok!

Back
Top Bottom