5 Day Old Chick: Straining, goopy poop, constipated??

CoopBoots

Crowing
Aug 31, 2022
About five day old chick exhibiting spread legs, hunched posture, and goopy poop I have unplugged from her vent once today. She can poop but strains to do so, it's small and mostly white, and collects on her rear rather than exiting properly. She is cheeping in distress, rejecting water and food. Doesn't run or play, mostly stands. Been this way since 10 or 11 this morning with no improvement post initial cleanup.

She's in a brooder under heat lamps with cooler and warmer areas to choose from, around 95 degrees. Eating Dumor unmedicated 20% chick starter /grower, no grit, no other foods, on fluffy pine bedding. I did give them diluted nutridrench for the first three days, tapered to nothing now.

She's still pooping, but it's obviously an effort and doesn't seem to bring relief. Her vent looks a bit protruding as well. Aside from washing/gentle unplugging/Vaseline and trying to encourage drinking, what else could I do for her? I'll get pictures shortly.

Thanks in advance!!

Picture to illustrate spraddled stance and poop:

Snapchat-1638538732.jpg

She may be dehydrated, can you use a dropper to put water on top of her beak watch her drink it and then give her more? I would also give her some raw yolk and a couple of small hardened chunks of coconut oil. Do you have more then one feeding station?

She may be dehydrated, can you use a dropper to put water on top of her beak watch her drink it and then give her more? I would also give her some raw yolk and a couple of small hardened chunks of coconut oil. Do you have more then one feeding station?
Yes, two feeders around a central waterer I refill regularly. I've given some water dripped at the tip or side of her beak (not forced) and got her to take some. I also tried to administer some coconut oil but she was very resistant and I was afraid she'd aspirate if she wouldn't willingly swallow it. Yolk may be easier so I can try that next... Thank you for your help!

Can you get a photo of her from the front or side?

I'd try soaking her bottom in a warm espom salts solution. See if that helps make her go.

Do work on hydration, getting the water into her is important. PND 2-3 drops twice a day would be good too.
She has a lot of urates which likely indicate dehydration. If she will willingly drink on her own that would be best, but if not, giving drop by drop water is the way to go - it's tedious and frustrating I know - been there done that!

Any swelling of the abdomen, discoloration of the abdomen, navel is closed, nothing oozing there?

Yes, two feeders around a central waterer I refill regularly. I've given some water dripped at the tip or side of her beak (not forced) and got her to take some. I also tried to administer some coconut oil but she was very resistant and I was afraid she'd aspirate if she wouldn't willingly swallow it. Yolk may be easier so I can try that next... Thank you for your help!
It takes awhile if she's not drinking on her own, keep giving her water until she doesn't want it anymore. She'll shake it off her beak when she's done.

I haven't seen her eat or drink since a little activity last night (just before I gave her some egg yolk). I've added a second waterer just in case it helps and did some drip-drinking with her. Her crop doesn't seem to contain anything but I'm not very used to checking chicks...

Her abdomen looks a bit full/swollen compared to her peers, to me anyway. Let's see if I got any useful photos:

Snapchat-982938107.jpg

Snapchat-1570190429.jpg
Snapchat-2131561167.jpg

She desperately needs a bath and to not be chilled while I do it--but I have two littles in the house demanding most of my attention. I'll try to make time soon... I don't see a navel problem but again, I might not be looking in the right spot.

Is this chick half the size of the others by some chance? It is very similar to a failrure-to-thrive (FTT) chick I had years ago. Unfortunately, for such a chick, prognosis is poor due to immature organs. Live isn't able to keep up,the chick is always cold due to improper absorption of calories, and gizzard isn't muscular enough to handle digestion.

The others have all offered useful advice. Your chick probably has a 50% chance of making it. It needs a lot of help with extra feedings of protein such as crumbled tofu and finely minced hard boiled egg. Nitri-drench can be a huge help.

Continue to try to get coconut oil into her. Chill the oil until solid after dividing it into tiny pieces. Pry open the tiny beak and shove one piece at a time into the chick's right side of the beak. This way the oil will slip straight down into the crop.

Back
Top Bottom