5 dead in an hour

MomtoSyd&Emma :

Quote:
The tarps are their shade.

It was enough over the summer last year, and did great over the winter.

Could the tarps be holding in the heat?? And actually making it hotter for them??

Geez..i dont know... poor things.
I hope you figure it out soon!
hugs.gif

Quote:
The tarps are their shade.

It was enough over the summer last year, and did great over the winter.

Could the tarps be holding in the heat?? And actually making it hotter for them??

Geez..i dont know... poor things.
I hope you figure it out soon!
hugs.gif

I dont think so, but at this point I just dont know. I would rather rehome them all quickly than take a chance on loosing anymore of our girls.

Our daughters just finally stopped crying. Our youngest has taken it really hard, as it is "her job" to get in eggs daily with me, so she is with the chickens and I alot more than older dd is.

I want to chime in here about how beastly hot it is in Roanoke right now. We went to "the 'Noke" downtown yesterday for the 4th festivities around 3:00 in the afternoon and I was diving for the shade trees after being in the sun for only 15 minutes or so. It was horrible! I was soo glad to get back home to my shaded yard where it is so much cooler.

Quote:
I know that to some areas our heat wave is normal but when we live in a mountain valley, this is absurdly hot for us. Our chickens MIGHT have seen 3 90+ days in over a year. Our electric bill was 480.00 this past week, I freaked when I saw it. I have to call AEP tomorrow to set up payments for that bill as our highest bill in over 10yrs of living here was 150.00!! And we are stingy with our electric. It has to be the aircondition running NONstop!

MomtoSyd&Emma :

NOTHING is abnormal, Nothing has changed, nothing at all, same feed (kept inside in the house in clean buckets to keep mice or rodents from wanting in) All poo is normal looking. The ONLY thing different is we fed them watermelon.

Here is a sorta kinda coop shot, DH was painting the camper as we are converting it to a big coop to make for all of them, the privacy fence wasnt up in this shot either. But all behind the coops is 7 foot privacy fencing, the chickens cant get to the fencing. But you can sorta see their coops, tarps etc...

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/mommy4syd/4-2010046.jpg

The amberlinks, black austrolorps and rir are in the camper. its been turned, DH built a hardware mesh screen door for it also, for more air ventilation. The plan is/was to take the smaller coops out, keep one for a broody. Make the fenced in area a run for them

I had to chime in after seeing this pic.....I have 5 dogs and that fence is nothing for them to jump, even a small dog can jump that. So it is possible a neighbourhood dog got in and chased them around. Sorry for your loss!!​

Quote:
I had to chime in after seeing this pic.....I have 5 dogs and that fence is nothing for them to jump, even a small dog can jump that. So it is possible a neighbourhood dog got in and chased them around. Sorry for your loss!!

The fence around them has been raised to 6 foot as we are making it a run for them, and we are in the process but that electric bill has halted our funds for building. I have only seen one stray dog here in our neighborhood in 11 years, and he is a Boston Terrier. To get in my back yard it would have to get in my neighbors fenced yards, then jump the fence into ours, then jump the fence into the coop yard.

Not saying it couldnt happen, or didnt happen, but it isnt probable to me. I swear to you all my feet are still on fire and its midnight

Last edited:
MomtoSyd&Emma :

Quote:
I had to chime in after seeing this pic.....I have 5 dogs and that fence is nothing for them to jump, even a small dog can jump that. So it is possible a neighbourhood dog got in and chased them around. Sorry for your loss!!

The fence around them has been raised to 6 foot as we are making it a run for them, and we are in the process but that electric bill has halted our funds for building. I have only seen one stray dog here in our neighborhood in 11 years, and he is a Boston Terrier. To get in my back yard it would have to get in my neighbors fenced yards, then jump the fence into ours, then jump the fence into the coop yard.

Not saying it couldnt happen, or didnt happen, but it isnt probable to me. I swear to you all my feet are still on fire and its midnight​

I've owned dogs all of my life so I have to agree with you, a dog wouldn't go through all that trouble..esp. if it had to go though so many fences. I am sorry for your loss really am, I sure hope you find the reason for it.

Thanks you all for the kind words.

I just got off the phone with my nephew, he told me that the fair is going on and that a whole bunch of people had to be treated for heat related illness including a young woman he knows had to be put in the hospital for heat stroke. So I guess if it can nearly kill humans, than my poor lil chickens can be affected too. I am not going to change anything we are doing except to bring them all in for the next 2 days until the heat is out of critical.

I feel that it was the heat that killed your chickens. Trailers get horribly hot! Put a thermometer inside and see how hot it is getting. Tarps keep the fresh, cooler air from circulating and cooling your birds. I have been having to have a screen door on my coop to keep my birds from getting too hot and the hottest it has been here is 97%. I have lost broody hens to heatstroke before at the temps you are having. I keep a fan going in the chicken house and water misters outside in the coop and hose down the coop a couple times a day. So sorry!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom