5 gal bucket feeder? Or other LARGE homemade feeder

yotetrapper

Crowing
14 Years
May 3, 2007
North Central MS
I use 5 gal bucket waters, and the post on here about them got me wondering if anyone has developed a good 5 gal bucket feeder? I've experimented with feeders, but not found a good homemade one I like. Lets see you homemade feeders, folks...

We just made one with a 5 gallon paint bucket attached to a planter-tray ... drilled holes around the base of the bucket, and it works just fine. I'll try to get pictures of it.

We attached the bucket with bolts.

We have 5 hens, and we were out of town for 5 days. They live in a tractor, and we had a friend open their inside door every day. They were not allowed to free-range while we were gone, and they were extremely happy when we got home!

--janis,etc

Good question, I am looking for a good home made feeder.......none seem to hold enough feed.......I want to see pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

I did the same thing with my feeder, minus attaching it to the saucer--which would probably keep it from tipping over when it gets empty, so I'll have ot look into that. It feeds my 16 LF for three or four days easily. I'll get some pics later and post them up here.

I'm gonna have to make a new one, but what I have used in the past is a wooden feeder.... Don't have any pics of one, but will try to describe it....lol....

You have a board that makes up each end, in between the end pieces you have two boards that make a "V" shape. I gap is left at the bottom of the "V" and the food comes out here... A board is used for the bottom, and a small gap is left between the bottom of the "V" and the bottom board where the food can come out, and then there's a board used on each side of the bottom piece to make a lip to hold the food in the tray.... Then a board is used for the lid, can be hinged on or made to fit onto some other way.

That may be hard to follow....lol
big_smile.png

27885_coop_and_garden_003.jpg

Here is mine I did redo the waterer and used a plastic oil pan so I can use acv.

The bucket is attached with a bolt and there are several holes all around made with drill attachment for holes. works great I fill it about once a week or so.
I have 12 chickens and 5 ducks so it last a good while surprisingly lol.

Have you looked at all the threads that talk about the 4" Pvc pipe feeders. I think that some of them hold 5 gallons or more and seem to be easier to use and fill....most people fill them from outside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom