Grandpa's Feeder (and other feeder recommendations)

piyo

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
I've been eyeing the Grandpa's Feeder after all the rave reviews on Youtube and other places, but I'm wondering if this feeder will repel bugs, especially ants. If this feeder does not repel bugs, does anyone have any suggestions on one that does? I am basically looking for a mouse-proof and ant-proof auto feeder. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I don’t think you will find one that repels ants. I had one like Grandpas and it was pretty good. Then I went to ducks and fed mash so the unit sat till I threw it away. Some of the younger birds would eat the ants but grew out of it or got stung and stopped doing it.

I've been eyeing the Grandpa's Feeder after all the rave reviews on Youtube and other places, but I'm wondering if this feeder will repel bugs, especially ants. If this feeder does not repel bugs, does anyone have any suggestions on one that does? I am basically looking for a mouse-proof and ant-proof auto feeder. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Ants hate peppermint oil....

In my personal experience, the only 'ant-proof' feeders are ones that do not come in contact with the ground or other surfaces that could form a bridge onto the feeder/feed. The standard hanging feeders are a good feeder. You could even attach one of those hummingbird feeder ant moats for another layer of protection, and hang your chicken feeder from that, in the right location.

The grandpa/pedal/treadle feeders are not rodent proof. I tried one of those style feeders and a squirrel became trapped inside of it. And the cottontail bunnies learned to use it before any of my hens did. I got rid of the treadle feeders and stayed with the hanging feeders. Just my experience.

Squirrels and bunnies are why a treadle feeder needs a narrow and distant perch instead of the humongous steps that many companies put on their treadle feeder. We figured out how to make a feeder squirrel proof by moving the springs to the door and using two springs so all of the pressure is direct to the door and not leveraged through the treadle. You need full size birds though to have enough weight to open the feeder door. And the old feeders can be modified so any old customers can send an email and I'll send the directions for drilling the spring holes. You will need to order a pack of springs as you will need one more spring.

As for the OP's question, about the only way to ant proof anything is to borrow a trick that was used back in the day; adding some sort of moat with oil. A lot of pie safes had legs sitting in small cans of oil. I suppose you could come up with some sort of oil filled narrow moat but think of the litter getting kicked into it or just dust. Might not be practical unless you are being invaded. Perhaps killing the ant hills is the way to go?

The Grandpas feeder doesn't repel ants. it repels rats and birds but not goats. I've never had an ant problem with it but thats probably because the chickens eat them. Its definitely the best feeder we've had so far. Really sturdy and easy to train chickens to. We did have a problem with bantams getting to the food dude to size.

In my personal experience, the only 'ant-proof' feeders are ones that do not come in contact with the ground or other surfaces that could form a bridge onto the feeder/feed. The standard hanging feeders are a good feeder. You could even attach one of those hummingbird feeder ant moats for another layer of protection, and hang your chicken feeder from that, in the right location.

The grandpa/pedal/treadle feeders are not rodent proof. I tried one of those style feeders and a squirrel became trapped inside of it. And the cottontail bunnies learned to use it before any of my hens did. I got rid of the treadle feeders and stayed with the hanging feeders. Just my experience.
What brand of hanging feeders do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom