5 gallon Bucket water heaters

You will have to let me know how it works through the cold winter. How cold are your winters?? I ended up buying a farm innovator 250 watt bird bath de- icer. I will post after this winter and let everyone know how it performed. Still deciding if I should just keep it in the coop or place an additional waterer in the run. I am not sure how often the chickens will venture out.

Chickens enjoy going outside even if it's cold. Just because you think it's cold doesn't mean the chickens think it's cold. Kept my food and water in the covered run. They just don't like to walk on snow. Last winter we got down to -10 F. From what I understand, that was a fairly mild winter for here. I've decided to keep my original tote for water this winter. If it's not large enough to hold a week's worth of water then I will replace it with a larger tote. My stock tank heater is also 250 watts and rated safe to use in a plastic container.

I am going to see how this first winter goes without a covered run. What is the brand of heater you used last year?? I think Montana and Wyoming winters are probably pretty comparable:)

My stock tank heater is an Allied Precision. It sits on the bottom, 250 watts.

If you don't cover your run then you might think about getting some straw. Spread some on top of the snow. The chickens will walk on the straw. My run is covered on top with a tarp. Then I put clear shower curtains around the sides. That gave the girls a wind free, snow free place to be outside. The pop door could also be open all the time so I didn't have to go out early in the morning to open it (will admit to having a lazy streak). I'm pretty secure as I have electric poultry netting surrounding a large area so didn't worry about securing the coop itself and locking the pop door. Have never had a predator get past the netting yet. I like a lot of ventilation in my coop.

I had a house sitter last winter as we went south for the winter. I was trying to make things as easy as possible for him. That's why I came up with using the larger tote rather than a bucket for water. It didn't need filled as often as a bucket. Being semi transparent meant that it was easy to tell when it needed filled. We're spending this winter in Montana (my first time) this year. I'm having a frost free faucet put in so that I can connect a hose and water everyone. The fewer times I have to be out in the cold the better. I'm not used to the cold.

Since this is your first winter, make sure you have LOTS of ventilation. I have 2 3 foot by 1 foot hardware cloth openings just under the eaves. I also have a 2 foot by 2 foot hardware cloth opening in the back of the coop where the house blocks any wind getting into the coop. And, as I said earlier, the pop door is open year round.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great advice. I am a little concerned with ventilation. When I built my coop I placed a ridge vent and also vented soffit for the eaves hoping that would be enough ventilation along with keeping the pop door open. I think I will learn a lot from this upcoming winter. Great getting advice from people who have done it already.

This is what I used with my chicks and never had an issue. I live in southern CO and it got -35 frequently in our area. I also used the nipple waters.

It only froze up when the water went below the heater, which only happened once when we were out of town and our house sitter didn't refill.

With nipple waterer you need one to sit on the bottom, otherwise your nipples will freeze up. Don't get a float.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I looked at that one also. If mine doesn't work this winter I will switch to that one. Do you use a bucket and horizontal nipples? I know we get to -30 usually a few times a winter. In Wyoming the wind really blows though so sometimes we get windchill -40 to-50.

I do use the horizontal and we've also hit below -40 on occasion with windchill. I didn't do supplemental heat but did have a rope light in their coop that helped a bit.

I never had any issues with frost bite- but it was well ventilated. This year I am going to insulate and use some space blankets to help them retain the heat they produce inside of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom