1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

5 minute old chick fell into water trough, emergengy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sethsleader, Sep 8, 2009.

1. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    Right my 5 minute old chick climbed over the side of the tray into the water trough.
    As its my first hatch ive been watch them constantly, once the chick fell in I went and got a spoon because it was a very tiny gap lifted the lid and scooped him out. Hes breathing, but weak. Ive covered the gap now

What should I do? [​IMG]
    Will he die?
    [​IMG]

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    He may be ok...time will tell.

You need to put pebbles, marbles...or something like that in the water trough to keep them from getting in too far.

Or...take the large water trough out and put in another container with water. I use a jar lid for the first few days...then progress to deeper containers.

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I think she means the water trough in the incubator not a waterer. A 5 minute old chick does not need food or water for 24 hours .

Dry off the chick as much as possible and keep it WARM, the incubator is a good place but not if it can get near the water again.... If not put it in the brooder making sure it is at least 100 degrees in the brooder. Keep an eye on the chick and adjust temp according to if it seems in distress.

Good luck!

Nancy

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Well...duh! You can tell I wasn't paying much attention to what I was reading [​IMG]

Agree with Nancy...keep warm and dry and hope for the best!

5. sethsleader

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    Bettie th mutt made it through the night!! [​IMG]

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Awesome! You'll have to name her Scuba. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You have my prayers. I too lost the first chick I hatched this weekend in the very small bowl of water the we put in the bator to raise the humidity. I will never put open water in the bator again. I will use wet sponges if i need to raise the humidity again.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So sorry Bugged...[​IMG]

Glad the baby is doing well!! [​IMG]

9. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    If Scuba (great name!) made it through the night I would have to say he/she should be ok! I would definitely name him Scuba or Minnow...something along those lines. How about Flipper?[​IMG]

10. sethsleader

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    I think I might call it 'matchstick' cos thats what I need! I was up every hour of the night checking the little fuzz butt! [​IMG]
    Couldn't nap today because of the 4 kids that need constant TLC.

Just sooooooooo glad hes ok [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by