5 minute old chick fell into water trough, emergengy

sethsleader

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Portreath
Right my 5 minute old chick climbed over the side of the tray into the water trough.
As its my first hatch ive been watch them constantly, once the chick fell in I went and got a spoon because it was a very tiny gap lifted the lid and scooped him out. Hes breathing, but weak. Ive covered the gap now

What should I do?
fl.gif

Will he die?
hit.gif

He may be ok...time will tell.

You need to put pebbles, marbles...or something like that in the water trough to keep them from getting in too far.

Or...take the large water trough out and put in another container with water. I use a jar lid for the first few days...then progress to deeper containers.

I think she means the water trough in the incubator not a waterer. A 5 minute old chick does not need food or water for 24 hours .

Dry off the chick as much as possible and keep it WARM, the incubator is a good place but not if it can get near the water again.... If not put it in the brooder making sure it is at least 100 degrees in the brooder. Keep an eye on the chick and adjust temp according to if it seems in distress.

Good luck!

Nancy

You have my prayers. I too lost the first chick I hatched this weekend in the very small bowl of water the we put in the bator to raise the humidity. I will never put open water in the bator again. I will use wet sponges if i need to raise the humidity again.

If Scuba (great name!) made it through the night I would have to say he/she should be ok! I would definitely name him Scuba or Minnow...something along those lines. How about Flipper?
big_smile.png

I think I might call it 'matchstick' cos thats what I need! I was up every hour of the night checking the little fuzz butt!
caf.gif

Couldn't nap today because of the 4 kids that need constant TLC.

Just sooooooooo glad hes ok
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom