5-month-old chickens have never dust bathed

Aug 30, 2017
Hi all! I recently got three chicks from my parents' flock. They're 5 months old, and for the first couple months of their lives, they lived in a sectioned-off part of the coop with a wooden floor, so they never got to dust bathe. (There was a mean mother hen with her own chicks that would go after them. She even killed a fourth chick in this group, so they were sectioned off for their own protection.)

They have all kinds of space now in my backyard, and I just have the three. But I have NEVER seen them dust bathe and I'm pretty sure they have lice. I'm treating them with diatomaceous earth, but how do I get them to dust bathe to keep themselves clean?

Yup @Chickassan I have a lot of loose, inviting dirt. I had a couple grown chickens before I took these girls in... They loved dust bathing and left lots of little holes in the yard. It's available to them--don't know why they are totally uninterested.

Definitely check them over real well for mites and/or lice.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

If you do find some...check out this thread:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134783/permethrin-spray

Back
Top Bottom