1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 Month old ROOSTER

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DLS, Nov 26, 2010.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a new flock of 26 RIR hens. born on the 4th of july 2010. 1 they sent me just started to crow. OH NOOooo a roo . Is this 5 month old RIR rooster to tough to eat? I mean without boiling it?

2. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    Quote:if its 5 months i wouldnt think so seems more like a question for the meat birds section

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    If he is a real RIR I would would just let him strut. Too bad your in Georgia, I would buy him from you. WAIT! my Mom is down there outside of Atlanta visiting my nephew, maybe she could bring him back on the plane. [​IMG]

4. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

THEY SENT ME ONE OF THOSE PAPERS WITH THEM TO PROVE THEY ARE PURE BREED. (?pip?) PRETTY BIRD BUT TO MANAGE MY FLOCK & NOT FEED ROOS & NOT GATHER EGGS FROM HIM i CHOOSE TO EAT HIM. iF HE WON'T BE TO TOUGH.
    [​IMG]

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I would post this in the meat bird section.

6. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Hi,
    He will be fine to eat since he's just starting to crow.
    Joe

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    At five months he will be fine if you cook him kinda slow and with moisture. I'd suggest braising, baking, or roasting. He is too old for frying as far as I am concerned.

Since it sounds like it is your first one, you might Google Coq au Vin. That's really for cooking older roosters, but it is probably a good one for your first one. It is a safe way to cook him and get a great result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by