5 month Splash Orpington

SchmidtChicks

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Qld, Australia
I think our girl is actually a boy?

She's near over 5 months (hatched in Nov 2019 I believe) and has looked and sounded hen-ish up until these last few days. And I can't believe what I'm seeing looks like possible saddle feathers.

Her comb and wattle look like her parents (both hens and rooster), so we are officially stumped. I've seen another cockeral her age and he had a well grown / defined saddle and hackle, while Ducky has no hackle (that I can see?) and only a few Saddle looking feathers.

*they are both moulting now so maybe it's my mind playing tricks? It is starting autumn here (hot days, cold nights)

I'll note, if she is a he, then neither of our boys crow. We have heard Dinky twice and that was a week ago at 6 or so AM and never since. Ducky talks a lot with clucking, and is glued to following Dinky so we don't know if they're playing games or not. He/she is more willing to crate up at night (they sleep in cat carriers inside our home).

They sometimes face eachother and fluff up their necks while bowed and then Ducky freaks out and jumps / bolts off like a snake tried to grab her while Dinky doesn't flinch ... help??

Pullet or Cockeral?

20200419_082140.jpg

20200419_082206.jpg

^ Dinky is locked up in time out because he picks om the ducklings during free time.
20200419_082219.jpg

^ see between her wings and bum the long, point feathers I'd assume to be a saddle starting? She is curious but never harms the baby ducks.
20200419_082251.jpg

Parents -
received_502883927017609.jpeg

received_554677825377713.jpeg

Gonna have to disagree. I'm seeing saddle feathers. Also a 5 month old English Orpington pullet would be no where near laying.

This is another photo of him / her... we are completely stumped at this point, there are no cockeral behaviours, though we aren't sure if maybe its because they've been with our other cockeral so long he is the lowest on the pecking order?
Ducky clucks a lot, lays down more than Dinky, and is more interested in the confined crates for bedtime than Dinky who would rather roost if given the option.

They are our only chickens so yeah... if we move where we are wanting we can't have 2 roos, let alone 1 most likely. Especially if they begin crowing.

20200419_084912.jpg

I’m sorry that’s different definitely a cockerel. I raise red cuckoo Orpingtons and i’m very familiar with the breed they’re pretty slow to develop. In the second photo they were about 5-6 months notice my pullets lack of any comb/wattle development. Even in the first picture she was about 8 months (and laying) and still hardly any wallet/comb.
43F07A37-B18B-4B7B-86D2-346BE72B0F2E.jpeg
DFC64E2A-829E-4CE4-9C36-020CDC96F54C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom