5 months no egg. do i have four males? PICS

Le Mitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Provence
so i was hoping the experts could help me and tell me what sex they are

this one is my favourite she/he eats from my hand where the other three just freak out every time i get near

and this ones head is doing much better it is all healed up
thank you for your help

and just a side note it is minus 15 and there is 100 km winds and the four of them where sleeping outside , they have a house to go into but the kept sleep out in the wind and freezing weather.....so i decided to move them into my garage...was i being to protective? would have they been ok to stay outside, because if they were really cold they would have gone in?

I'm not an expert at Pharaoh Quails, but i guess the firt 2 and the last one are males.
I think you have done the right thing, this weather isn't good at all for them!
If there's any female, maybe the weather is disturbing her to lay eggs. But 5 months is such a big period for not laying eggs. The chance of 5 males is high!

It looks to me like like the first two are males the third is most likely male and the last is likely female. 5 months is a long time to not be laying eggs, but that might be due to the time of year. cots need At Least 12-14 hours of light to lay. If they are not, you could set up a lighting setup to give them that.

Try to give them extra light! Put a lamp close to the pen where they are and, when the evening starts to come, you turn the lamp on for more 2 our 3 hours. If there-s any female, she may lay an egg in some days or weeks...

#1 I would guess female Italian (speckled chest). I would bet money on #2 and #3 being Italian males for sure (no speckles on chest) and It is pretty hard to judge on the last brown one because I can't see the full front chest. I have had both males and females with bloody heads so that is no indication. It would make sense to me if all 3 males were fighting over one female. They could be stressing out the hen causing her not to lay. Even with adding light your (possible) female may still not lay for a couple weeks do to you moving them and adjusting to the light. I would keep #1 separated from the others and wait for an egg or a crow. If she is a hen, an egg should make it's debut when she is stress free and and has the right amount of light. This of course is my personal observation and am by no means an expert.

Last edited:
well they all live together and no one fights, but there were outside in a large avairy (3 meters square and 2 meters tall),with no extra light. but the silly birds hide inside all day in the dark and came out at night, so they had very little light. but now i have moved them inside into a 1 meter sq cage, they have light from 6 in the morning till 10 at night, and they have been inside for a week now. and it is 10 degree C in the garage.
so i have four quail and one partridge in this cage and every one gets along just fine, and im not to sure of the sex of the partridge either, because i got it as a breeding pair and well one escaped, so now i have just one partridge. and the five of them live happily together.

pictures number 1,3,and 4 they all rest together snuggled up in the corner and number 2 all ways chills with the partridge, so that makes me think that number 2 is a male and the Partridge is a female. Maybe i will have a funky new breed of bird A Quailtridge or a Puail...what do you think?

but if it was four male quail wouldnt they have fights? but by the same token if they are all males then maybe i wouldnt because they have an uneasy truse?

thanks again for the help

so far im at .....

Picture #1 2 people say male and 1 say female

Picture #2 3 people say its a male

Picture #3 2 people say male and 1 says female

Picture #4 2 people say Female and 1 says Male

If they aren't fighting what happened to the 4th ones head? And if they don't have any females in with them they could live harmoniously without any fighting. About #3...I have an italian male that looks identical to this one.

Are they crowing? Cot roo's have a very loud, very distinct "LOOK AT ME" Crow...*lol* And they have an incredibly high sex drive, if there were three males and one female, she would have no feathers on her head or back at all...Cot males also have a bulbous vent that will excrete foam when gently squeezed.

What are you implying? That you think they are all male?

Are they crowing? Cot roo's have a very loud, very distinct "LOOK AT ME" Crow...*lol* And they have an incredibly high sex drive, if there were three males and one female, she would have no feathers on her head or back at all...Cot males also have a bulbous vent that will excrete foam when gently squeezed.

Back
Top Bottom