5 months old and still confused!

I’d say cockerel, but honestly I’m not completely sure. Do you have a photo of him/her next to your confirmed pullets, so we can see the size difference?
Here s/he is with the hens I got as chicks with him/her.

Attachments

• 1670A8AD-84DC-4E21-BE49-595A814C26CA.jpeg
    1670A8AD-84DC-4E21-BE49-595A814C26CA.jpeg
    693.9 KB · Views: 33
Well, this morning, s/he squatted for me, I petted him/her and then s/he shook it off. I said, ok, I’m expecting some eggs from you soon then. A hen I once had would do the same thing. A few minutes later, I’m pruning tomatoes and I hear a crow…then another, then another and another. So at this point, I’m assuming it’s a boy but wow, I can’t believe I’m still confused. This is how he looks now. Tail feathers are just a tad longer than my hens’.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 24
Honestly, this is the weirdest thing. Are you sure it’s that guy crowing? I could swear that’s a pullet right now. Though a pullet with a comb that red should be laying. How does s/he sound? At five months, they should either be sounding like a pullet, with little hen clucks, or like a cockerel, and making rooster sounds. Could you possibly post a video on YouTube and link it here? It’d be interesting to see their behavior.

Honestly, this is the weirdest thing. Are you sure it’s that guy crowing? I could swear that’s a pullet right now. Though a pullet with a comb that red should be laying. How does s/he sound? At five months, they should either be sounding like a pullet, with little hen clucks, or like a cockerel, and making rooster sounds. Could you possibly post a video on YouTube and link it here? It’d be interesting to see their behavior.
This chicken makes chicken sounds though not necessarily clucking although not all my hens make the same sounds. It was definitely him/her that crowed because I saw with my own eyes and I excitedly ran for my phone try to video it. Of course, s/he stopped then. I have no other possible rooster. It was a kind of shorter crow but a crow nonetheless. I have another hen who makes weird sounds like a barking dog as if she’s trying to crow but this was definitely a crow. This chicken has been squatting for me for the last couple of days and the comb has been red for quite some time. Here’s a video.

Last edited:
This chicken makes chicken sounds though not necessarily clucking although not all my hens make the same sounds. It was definitely him/her that crowed because I saw with my own eyes and I excitedly ran for my phone try to video it. Of course, s/he stopped then. I have no other possible rooster. It was a kind of shorter crow but a crow nonetheless. I have another hen who makes weird sounds like a barking dog as if she’s trying to crow but this was definitely a crow. This chicken has been squatting for me for the last couple of days and the comb has been red for quite some time. Here’s a video.

Yeah, pretty sure that’s a boy, especially if he’s crowing. He’s probably just a late developer.

Back
Top Bottom