5 week Barnevelder pullets?

mydaisy

Songster
May 9, 2022
Oklahoma is OK!
A little back story here, I have had chickens for 3 years. I raised them from chicks and still have my original flock + a few added hens along the way. Fast forward to now, I got the itch for new babies. I thought I was pretty savvy on identifying chicks and said I would only buy pullets. I bought 6 pullets from farm/feed store almost 5 weeks ago.
2 Bluebell Prairie Egger pullets turned out to be 2 Barred Rock cockerels
2 EE pullets turned into 1 cockerel 1 pullet
2 Barnevelder pullets (to be determined)
So obviously that plan didn't work.

These 2 Barnevelder chicks have me obsessed, checking them for any cockerel behavior or traits. Of course I would find out that Barnevelders are notoriously hard to sex right away (unless their comb or wattles stand out)

Chick on the left (#1) and chick on the right (#2) They both looked identical, but chick 2 was always runty, nearly half the size as chick 1.
Chick 1 feathered up quicker than 2, but they both are feathering up exactly the same in the same areas. Except for chick 2 has the blacker chest and tail feathers so far. I know that male Barnevelders do not have lacing on chest, but after scouring post after post of Barnie genders, I have seen some pullets start off with the blacker chest at first. This is what I am hoping for! The combs are still small and yellow, no red.

What are your thoughts so far? Think they are two pullets?

Attachments

• BV1.jpg
    BV1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 122
  • BV2.jpg
    BV2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 95
  • BV3.jpg
    BV3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 97
  • BV4.jpg
    BV4.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 93
  • BV5.jpg
    BV5.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 76
Thank you. Who am I to disagree with experienced eyes? lol. I appreciate the answers and I will stop posting to this thread and leave it alone that they are both pullets for anyone else who has a dark breasted Barnevelder girl and is scouring this site for answers lol.

I may add photos when they are completely mature just for reference.
You don't have to stop posting updates. That's what the forum is for. It's fun to see how they mature.

The black breasted one may be male. In Barnevelders males have black breast
Right, which is why I am curious about them. However, I have seen black breasted chicks that turned out to be pullets (the black fell out at about 8 weeks). This is what I am hoping for - I know it is hoping for a lot. My only hope is the comb is still next to nothing.

Update at 7 weeks old. The first 5 are the first bird and the second 5 pics are the second bird. What do you think at this age? Pullet or cockerel?

Attachments

• BV1 4.jpg
    BV1 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • BV1 3.jpg
    BV1 3.jpg
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 65
  • BV1 2.jpg
    BV1 2.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 71
  • BV1 1.jpg
    BV1 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • BV1 5.jpg
    BV1 5.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 67
  • BV2 1.jpg
    BV2 1.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 74
  • BV2 2.jpg
    BV2 2.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 67
  • BV2 3.jpg
    BV2 3.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 65
  • BV2 4.jpg
    BV2 4.jpg
    941.7 KB · Views: 59
  • BV2 5.jpg
    BV2 5.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 71
Oh this makes me happy. That second chick has made me guessing from one hour to the next. I will say that neither one act one bit cockerel. I’ve got 3 other birds that are young male and do what young males do, challenge each other, etc. and these two birds are completely unaffected by it. They just go on about their way, pecking away at the ground avoiding it all.

Back
Top Bottom