5 week chick broken leg joint healed crooked.

Nona_1808

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2022
Hello, I took my chick to the vet but was too late. We couldn’t take her sooner cuz of money issues. I didn’t want to put her down since she was healthy besides the leg and vet said she wasn’t in pain. We’d just have to keep an eye on her which I don’t mind, I wanna give her a happy adult chicken life for as much as I can… but i wanted to know if there’s anything I can do? Are there things or diys to make her leg more easy to limp? What’s something that’d help? I’ve seen some chickens will little support equipment but idk where to find one or how to make one

Attachments

• 59B6A473-E7FC-46B6-8A2E-12170511FD72.jpeg
    59B6A473-E7FC-46B6-8A2E-12170511FD72.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 711
That looks more like a leg bone deformity, such as twisted tibia or valgus deformity. Either way, broken bone or leg bone deformity, there probably is not a whole lot you could do for it. Can the chick get around to food and water?

Can you post a video of her walking?
Shes more grown and bigger than that but idk how to post videos ;-;. She limps and the vet says theres no way to fix it so shes stuck like that. Her leg broke at the joint so its healed to the side. She hops without the leg touching the floor but wanted to see if there was something that could just support her.

That looks more like a leg bone deformity, such as twisted tibia or valgus deformity. Either way, broken bone or leg bone deformity, there probably is not a whole lot you could do for it. Can the chick get around to food and water?
Oh for sure, the get said the same thing is whether to put her down or keep her and we decided to keep her and give her a happy adult life she can. She’s perfectly healthy and weighs enough 😂 she eats and drinks then lays down. But i wondered if there was wheelchails or something of the sort… idk if putting a splint would make her move better either. I dont want her to he uncomfortable too.

Videos have to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here to be seen.

I feel that splinting can cause more problems, since the break has already healed crooked. The vet wrap or tape used frequently can slip and cause swelling or cut off circulation. That can cause the death of an extremity.

There are wheelchairs and sling chairs that can be made for chickens. You can google those for pictures and links.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

https://chickentherapychairs.weebly.com/

Back
Top Bottom