5 week old Buff Orpington hen or roo?

starchicky

Songster
8 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Oregon
I was posting asking about my 5 week old buff orp and if it might be a roo? After reading some older threads it is apparent they are very hard to sex, and some that were "for sure" roos turned out to be hens in the thread. Do Buff Orpingtons vary in their comb size and color? What other signs do you look for to tell sex? Here are some pics. The one in the foreground is the one in question. She has always been a bit bigger, redder in her comb and feathers and more outgoing.

It's pretty young to sex (young Orpington gender has been notoriously difficult for BYC members to determine accurately) but based on the size and redness of the comb, I'd say the bird in question is a male. The other one looks like a female.

So I called the place I got them from, and they could be as much as two weeks apart. I keep trying to look for different saddle feathers, but still hard to tell.

Last edited:
So it's not looking good. The chicken on the right is the one in question. Definitely has a bigger, curly tail, and bigger feet. The comb is still bigger and more red. But I'm still looking for behavior clues to be sure.

So it's not looking good. The chicken on the right is the one in question. Definitely has a bigger, curly tail, and bigger feet. The comb is still bigger and more red. But I'm still looking for behavior clues to be sure.

Can you get a clear side shot of them both? Even in this shot you can see what appears to be darker, glossier patches on the bird in question on the wing and saddle area - which would be distinctly male characteristics. Just looking at this photo it seems you have a cockerel and a pullet.

Can you get a clear side shot of them both? Even in this shot you can see what appears to be darker, glossier patches on the bird in question on the wing and saddle area - which would be distinctly male characteristics. Just looking at this photo it seems you have a cockerel and a pullet.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom