5 week old chick can not walk, Please Help!

Quote:
I'm really sorry for your loss. Any ideas what may cause this, or is it just a genetic hiccup?

My thoughts are with you both.
hugs.gif

I have a bantam Cochin pullet who almost didn't make it. When she was a few weeks old I found her one morning apparently crippled and unable to walk. I think now that she got in the bottom of a pile up and overheated possibly causing nerve damage. I splinted her legs and tried dozens of things including vitamins, yogurt etc. I kept her in a tiny box with me at all times or in my pocket if I went outside. She even slept with me so I could feed and give her water with a dropper, (later she could wiggle out of the box and into my hair). The upshot is that it took somewhere around a month or 6 weeks but by summer she was out running around like a regular chicken. Now she is back in the house in a basket in a rubbermaid tub sitting on the third batch of eggs and acting like a Queen while I again feed her yogurt and mash because she won't voluntarily get off the eggs (the first 2 clutches did not hatch).

Don't give up! At this point I can't remember or don't know what if anything I did except give her lots of love that made her well, but I do know it was a long time and I wasn't able to interact with the other 30 or 40 chicks as much as I wanted.

It sounds like you are on the right track.
smile.png

Wow, thanks for that post. She seems ok other than not being able to walk. And you are right she may have gotten into the bottom of a pile up. I am thinking about making a sling for her to sit in so I can splint her legs. She is very sweet and will eat and drink as long as they are in front of her. She doesn't really mind being handled for a short period of time. She can move her legs she just can't seem to get them under her and walk. Well, she is comfortable and spoiled right now so I will see what happens. If she starts to go downhill or acts like she is in pain then I will do what I know has to be done.
sad.png

She is hanging in there so don't give up hope until you have to.
smile.png
I love to hear stories giving encouragement. It helps balance out all the worry. She is lucky to have such a good Momma Hen.
woot.gif
For you and your perseverence.
thumbsup.gif

You are doing a great job with her! I am thinking that maybe she had a stroke? There could just be so many things wrong....a spinal injury? Sometimes you just never find out.

Keep us posted and good luck to you and your little chick!

Sharon

Thank you all for your encouraging words, it helps to know that there are people out there who don't think I am crazy
big_smile.png

Of course my kids, 10 & 12, are just as crazy as I am.

Back
Top Bottom