5 Week Old Chick Has Leaky Vent

I can try that. Its a rhode island red
Also maybe an epsom soak for a little bit... like in a Tupperware the size of a shoebox... I also like to use those rectangular plastic planters... but some epsom salt, warm water, two drops of an essential oil (Bc he/she is prolly getting stinkers, especially as you ease the tummy), baby shampoo... I used witch hazel after and a
chicken antiseptic..

Hey!! I’m sorry to write here on this thread but i saw it’s a really fresh thread and I might get a quick answer. So today my baby chick hatched and I don’t think it absorbed the yolk fully. It’s not much left it’s like a little bump on the navel and now it’s all dry. I’ve heard that this can happen and that it can either fall off by itself or you can cut it. I wonder if she/he is likely to survive? Right now she/he is super active and already walking around and chirping normally. There seems to be nothing wrong with her/him at all right now. Just overall a true fighter cause she/he also had some problems hatching and I had to assist in the end. So what do you guys think about this situation?? I always think the worst also. Thank you so much in advance.

Hey!! I’m sorry to write here on this thread but i saw it’s a really fresh thread and I might get a quick answer. So today my baby chick hatched and I don’t think it absorbed the yolk fully. It’s not much left it’s like a little bump on the navel and now it’s all dry. I’ve heard that this can happen and that it can either fall off by itself or you can cut it. I wonder if she/he is likely to survive? Right now she/he is super active and already walking around and chirping normally. There seems to be nothing wrong with her/him at all right now. Just overall a true fighter cause she/he also had some problems hatching and I had to assist in the end. So what do you guys think about this situation?? I always think the worst also. Thank you so much in advance.
Don’t cut it !!! It’s fine... baby chicks don't NEED anything to eat or drink for about 48 hours after they've hatched. That's because they are sustained by the yolk of the egg, which they absorb into their body just before they break through the shell. So, you are supposed to just leave them in the incubator until everyone is fluffy... we usually leave them in over night, making sure everyone stays warm and dries out entirely. Pls don’t pull that off- it’ll dry and scab. It is very sensitive like an umbilical. We have learned, through experience, that it isn’t good to help get the chicks out of the egg... we did that once- Bc the other chicks were out already, for awhile... the baby that couldn’t get out by itself had its own issues and eventually died. It was the whiniest, loudest chick, had spraddle leg, I forget what else... but being patient is helpful... I def could not let a baby chick die bc it couldn’t get out of it’s shell... but, it seems as if there is a reason that is the case and should be noted... keep putting water in the reservoir bc it keeps up the humidity and will make the shell softer to help the chick peck out a bit easier...

Don’t cut it !!! It’s fine... baby chicks don't NEED anything to eat or drink for about 48 hours after they've hatched. That's because they are sustained by the yolk of the egg, which they absorb into their body just before they break through the shell. So, you are supposed to just leave them in the incubator until everyone is fluffy... we usually leave them in over night, making sure everyone stays warm and dries out entirely. Pls don’t pull that off- it’ll dry and scab. It is very sensitive like an umbilical. We have learned, through experience, that it isn’t good to help get the chicks out of the egg... we did that once- Bc the other chicks were out already, for awhile... the baby that couldn’t get out by itself had its own issues and eventually died. It was the whiniest, loudest chick, had spraddle leg, I forget what else... but being patient is helpful... I def could not let a baby chick die bc it couldn’t get out of it’s shell... but, it seems as if there is a reason that is the case and should be noted... keep putting water in the reservoir bc it keeps up the humidity and will make the shell softer to help the chick peck out a bit easier...
Okay thank you so much for your response!! So it’s normal that they don’t fully absorb the yolk and it makes a bump? I will not cut it after hearing this. But I’m relieved it will come off sooner or later. And yes I know helping a chick out if it’s she’ll should be a last resort and can be lethal. But in this case my chick had pipped the wrong end of the egg, it was not hatching around the air cell. And after 36 hours it hadn’t even hatched a little bit, just pipped and I could hear it chirp at all time. Later I decided to help the chick carefully and I noticed there was no blood or anything so everything was absorbed except for a little tiny bit of the yolk and now we are here. But then again super active chick seems to have pretty strong legs and chirping fine. I’m just kinda nervous about this bump on the navel. Like infections and stuff?

Back
Top Bottom