5 week old chick scalped

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by biggzafx1, May 29, 2010.

1. biggzafx1

biggzafx1 New Egg

May 7, 2010
    New Port Richey FL
    I dont know how but 2 out of 7 chicks got into my older chickens run and where attacked. lucky i was checking on them, when they where in a corner in the run. one was scalped about the size of a nickle. i cleaned her up and put on triple antibiotic ointment over the wound. I have her all alone inside the house. anything else i should be doing?

2. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Chickens are surprisingly tough. Right now I have a four month old pullet with all the skin on her back missing, from the base of her neck down to her tail. NO skin at all. I am still not sure she'll live through this but she's eating and pooping and drinking and using all of her limbs normally. I can hardly believe it.

Definitely keep her inside and warm. Keep the scalp wound clean by clipping nearby feathers short. Use neosporin or whatever antibiotic gel/cream you can find in a medicine cabinet. If someone you know has silvadene cream, that is used for human burns, that stuff is great.

It may take her a day or two to begin to eat and drink normally. I fed my chicken several times a day with a syringe for two days. I mixed chick starter and an egg and sucked up the liquids in a syringe and gave it to her. I also gave her human baby vitamins in water. Suddenly the third day she was eating on her own.

She may have a bald spot but at least it won't be hard to name her and recognize her [​IMG]

3. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    I had a similar problem and I used terramycin because it was all they had at the local feed and seed. It worked fine and the chicken recovered fully. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by