5 week old chick terrified of me

Chicky3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
I have a 5 week old light Sussex chick and I bought her along with 2 others the same age from the market yesterday. The other 2 chicks are not scared of us at all and are very easy going and cute chicks but there is one that is absolutely scared and skittish, always backs away into the corner when we put our hand in to give them more food or water and makes a big fuss and squeezes her eyes shut when we pick her up. I've never come across such a little chick.
I'm worried because I need to have easy to handle docile friendly chickens and I don't want her to grow up to be a chicken that will always be running away from us.
Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
I got 4 chicks (4 wks old now) that I purchased 2 weeks ago and all of them are so skittish and freak out whenever I give them food or water or clean up the brooder. They seems like their going to die each time I put my hands down. I handled them a lot lately (individually) and they seem calming down and much tamer.

The secret to handling chicks so they won't be terrified of you is to stop thrusting your hand into the brooder from overhead. Chicks are terrified of anything diving at them from above their heads. Like hawks and owls. It's an instinctive fear.

The proper technique is to handle them from their level from the side. When it first dawned on me this was why my chicks were so terrified of me handling them, I created a side-access brooder. I cut a door into the side of a large cardboard carton and placed it on a table.

The result was miraculous. No more skittish, scared chicks. I reached in from the side, placed my hand on the brooder floor, and the chicks would walk right onto my hand.

Try it. The results will amaze you.

The secret to handling chicks so they won't be terrified of you is to stop thrusting your hand into the brooder from overhead. Chicks are terrified of anything diving at them from above their heads. Like hawks and owls. It's an instinctive fear.

The proper technique is to handle them from their level from the side. When it first dawned on me this was why my chicks were so terrified of me handling them, I created a side-access brooder. I cut a door into the side of a large cardboard carton and placed it on a table.

The result was miraculous. No more skittish, scared chicks. I reached in from the side, placed my hand on the brooder floor, and the chicks would walk right onto my hand.

I really thought it was flock mentality. Because I handle mine constantly but they always run and scream when ever they are with the flock.
Like I constantly handle them and when I'm one on one, they seem to not be able yo get enough of me. (Actually laying in bed with a 5 or so week old chick right now that's sleeping on my chest. Had to be separated because he's a cannibal, or is trying to be)

Our chicks are 6 weeks now and I've noticed the difference when approaching from the side vs above. Now that they are in the outdoor coop which has the poop board about 36" high, they like to climb/fly up there when I come it to visit. They allow me to pet them when they're at my level but if they're on the floor, they scatter if I try to reach down at they.

People hardly ever make the connection between swooping down on a chick or adult chicken to try to catch it. Their main predators are from the sky overhead, so you trigger a very primal reflex when you approach them this way.

I already explained how to handle baby chicks. The same goes for the adults. I get down on my knees, a treat in hand for the ones who detest being touched, and slowly crawl forward. The chicken will either stand perfectly still or will come to see what the treat is and when they take it from my hand I grab them.

People waste so much energy chasing chickens and it's completely unnecessary and unproductive.

I converted my xlarge dog crate into the chicken pen over the weekend. They love their new digs! Since the crate door opens up at the side one chick in particular comes running when I open the door. I'm squatting down and I put my hand to them and try petting with my finger. Some seem to tolerate it more than others. I want them to be friendly they are about 2weeks old now.

I'm not sure if this helped @Chicky3 but I am definitely trying this with all of mine. We have 7 hens that we have raised from chicks and handled on a regular basis that still run. We also have 5 chicks in the brooder that we handled multiple times a day and although they seem better, they aren't comfortable with the idea at all.

My chicks just hatched yesterday sadly one died so I only have one now. My girl comes running up to my hands it so cute! I love it. But making a broiler door on the side and giving treats seems like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom