5 week old chicks are in with the flock... here we go!

Farmin Armen

Chirping
Jun 23, 2021
Hey there! Farmin’ Armen here!

I have two RIR, 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 2 Ameracaunas. Got them in the mail about 5 weeks ago from McMurray. I took them out of the garage to build me a workout space (that I’ll rarely use like my jump rope) and placed them in the coop and run setup with the rest of my flock. The rest of the flock are 7 buff Orps, 2 whiting true blues and one other Ameracauna. The time of day was about 1800. I threw out some scratch for them all to enjoy. They scratched and pecked. The chicks mingled amongst themselves. Everything seemed OK.

The true test was when I left for dinner. Would the chicks be alive an hour later?

YES! They are!!

All the hens are in the coop. The chicks are huddled together on the coop floor.

Lord willing, tomorrow is another day.

Thats all. I just wanted to share that.

Hopefully, there will not be much aggression from your established hens in the morning. Usually the newcomers will hang together, as a group. Flock/herd security. If they will be in an enclosed run,,, I suggest you have some hiding places the little ones can escape to,, to be out of sight. (but not cornered with no way out. )
Crates, boxes, and anything temporary inside run area will work.
I also suggest that at least in beginning days,,,, provide feed, and water in multiple areas. Much aggression comes from hens protecting their source of feed/food.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Back
Top Bottom