5 week old chicks growing drastically different from each other.

1000005628.jpg

You can kind of tell how much smaller the plymouth on the left is, much smaller tail and in person shes nearly half the size of the other plymouths

Maybe it's the photos but size difference doesn't seem that stark to me, I was expecting it to be very noticeable, which would be indicative of failure to thrive. Maybe a couple of the birds are a bit runtier than others, but runts can catch up over time (or they might just end up smaller adults).

Are these all sexed pullets, or straight run?

I wouldn't worry to much, based on your pictures it doesn't look like there is really that major of a difference. I have 2 buff orpingtons, 1 was always bigger then the other, feathered out better and all that. Now at almost 9 weeks I can almost barely tell them apart, they are now feathered out the same and are the same size, the on who was always smaller is just a tad bit chunkier then the on who was always bigger.

I think as long as the smaller chicks is feathering out and is growing, it really isn't anything to worry about. If the smaller ones were still covered in chick fluff and still small enough to fit in your hand, then I would worry, but honestly all of your chicks look healthy to me and happy. Your doing good.

Back
Top Bottom