5 week old chicks - opinions on gender and breed, please

Hey, I wanted to send an update on these two, almost 7 weeks old now. (You can zoom in for close ups)

Chick 1, probably Speckled Sussex:

IMG-3838.jpg IMG-3869.jpg IMG-3857.jpg

Chick 2, breed unclear (guesses welcome!):
IMG-3818.jpg IMG-3823.jpg

They're both quite skittish. I'm leaning towards pullets now, but what does everyone else think?

I got a reply from the breeder, and he says Chick 1 is a Speckled Sussex, and Chick 2 looks like a Black Jersey Giant, but when I sent the close up of the comb, he said it's a split rose comb, and called it interesting... Not so sure if this helps at all. Perhaps I misunderstood him at first, when he said they don't do barnyard mixes, which I thought meant they'd be pure breeds. Either way, I don't mind if they're not pure breeds, I just thought it might help to sex them... And now I'm really excited to see what that comb grows into - so please please let it be a girl :jumpy
Sounds like you have a speckled sussex or speckled sussex mix and a black Jersey giant mix.

Chick 2, breed unclear (guesses welcome!):

They're both quite skittish. I'm leaning towards pullets now, but what does everyone else think?

I'm also leaning toward pullet.

When the second one grows up, I'll be curious to know what color eggs it lays. I almost wonder if someone made a multi-generation cross using Cream Lebar, Buttercup, and something black. (The comb looks like a Buttercup comb, the crest looks like a Legbar-cross, and it is certainly black.)

Or maybe they just crossed a Polish with some kind of normal-looking chicken. I think the Polish crest and v-comb might be able to make that smaller crest and buttercup-type comb if crossed to a chicken with a single comb and no crest.

Here's an update at 9 weeks old! Thanks everyone for helping me guess, and hopefully these pictures might help someone, too! I'm pretty sure I have them figured out now.

#1 is a pullet and #2 is a cockerel - Would you all agree?

Chick 1 - Speckled Sussex:
IMG-4193.jpg

Chick 2 -
IMG-4178.jpg IMG-4187.jpg IMG-4183.jpg IMG-4188.jpg

It's almost 3 years later and in case someone was wondering: Yes, the first one is a pullet and her name is Apple Sweety Pie per my daughter. She lays beautiful brown eggs. Picture below from today :love
The black one we gave back to the breeder under the strong assumption he's a boy.
Apple Sweety Pie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom