5 week old chicks - opinions on gender and breed, please

ZazasMom

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Northern Rhode Island, USA
Hi all! :frow

I wanted to see if I can get some opinions on breed and (more importantly) gender of these 5 week old chicks? Thank you!

(Edited to add that my breeder says they're purebreds.)

Chick 1:
IMG-3706.jpg IMG-3707.jpg IMG-3709.jpg

Chick 2:
IMG-3713.jpg IMG-3715.jpg IMG-3703.jpg IMG-3700.jpg IMG-3701.jpg

I thought it looked closest to a pea comb, but I'm confused by the shape, too. I ruled out buttercup when I read that this means it's a Buttercup breed, and the chick didn't look like that to me.
A comb like that can also be produced form a V-comb x single comb breeding. Breeds like polish, sultans, and la fleches have V-combs.

my breeder says they're purebreds.
I really have to ask him again for the full list, he hasn't gotten back to me yet...

Have you tried sending the pictures to the breeder?
If he has separate breeding pens of each breed, then he should be able to recognize what these are, probably quite easily.

If he really means that the parents are pure breeds and they've been allowed to cross, then he might not know which ones crossed to produce these chicks.

Thank you so much everyone! I will get in touch with the breeder and update here.
I’d be surprised if there are any crosses, but I don’t know a thing about breeding :confused:
We will bring all cockerels back to the breeder, and he will rehome them, so I want to make sure I’m returning the right ones, haha!

Any more votes for pullets?? :fl
Not very experienced, but I think they are both pullets.

Back
Top Bottom