5 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cajunlizz, Nov 10, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Can not tell if their eyes are swollen from pecking or if they are if they are getting sick . Lil eyes are red , and swollen , almost plume shut . ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

2. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Post pictures. I can't help you, but I suggest writing PICS after your subject. Then people will think you are posting pics of cute 5 week old chicks and will look! Sorry about your chickies, though. Hope they get better...
    update your post and tell me if they have gotten better since yesterday.

3. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I have the same problem. My husband has gone to tractor supply to buy some Terramycin (hopefully liquid form) so we can put it in their water. If anyone has any other suggestions, please add to this post.

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    no idea what that is...
    It can't be LT(chicken bronchitis) because I have heard that older birds can get it...?

BUMP! Hopefully someone else with more experience can help! [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Pics would be very helpful !!

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I don't have the camera to take the pictures right now , BUT I can discribe how it looks . Its like a thin skin has formed completely over their eye ball and then the whole area swells ... Gets really big and matted . I have noticed 2 of my older hens seem to have it as well . DH picked up antibotics from the feedstore and hav e added it to their drinking water , and I have quarinteind the ones infected .

I have noticed yesterday ( Sunday ) that the lil chick that has this , seems to be opening her eyes better now . So , maybe this MED is working .
    I have a hen in tha back holding pen area ( that we have decided to make this our quarenteen area ) seems to also be looking a bit better .

Medicine is called : MIX in their drinking water

OXY-MYCIN 10 ( soluble powder ) Antibiotic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by