5 week old Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JustClucky, May 5, 2011.

1. JustClucky

JustClucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    TX
    Just making sure she's a she... The comb is pretty big but it has been since she hatched. Just checking to see what everyone else thinks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I see some good sized wattles... [​IMG] I'm not sure about this...

3. JustClucky

Mar 16, 2011
    TX
    I spotted those tonight, too and they're pretty red, not just regular pink. Hm. I'm worried.

ETA: She suddenly got really aggressive tonight toward the others which made me think twice about her pullethood. lol

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I have a couple of cuckoo marans as well and somewhere I read that if the black white lines are very defined it is a roo, if it is not it is a pullet. I wish I had pictures to show of mine, because you can definately tell the difference on the barring. Yours looks like my little cockeral. In a few weeks that comb is going to redden.

5. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I have two 8 week old pullets (sexed) from a hatchery. I read about them before getting them and what I read was as newly hatched chicks the pullet will have dark down the front of their legs. As they get older they look more speckled than striped. My girls have changed and do look spotty now. Their combs are still small and yellow. My guess would be a roo.

6. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry, but I'd say you have a roo. The roos are lighter in color than the pullets....plus the comb.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Boy.

9. JustClucky

Mar 16, 2011
    TX
    Boooo! I dislike this thread now. lol

I got her sexed, too, so I didn't think a thing of it until tonight. You know how you just kind of get used to looking at your birds? I hadn't noticed the giant comb or red wattles. Blah. I really didn't want to have to start a new chick but I'll need a replacement. UUUGH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by