5 week old duckling bleeding mildly from nares

Dariemby

In the Brooder
May 13, 2021
Has anyone ever had a duckling start bleeding when shut up in the coop at night? She only bleeds when in the coop. It appears to be from her nare and possibly mouth, and isn’t a huge amount, just enough to leave 10-15 red stained pine shavings scattered among the others on the floor. I have felt by hand all the walls and boards to make sure there is nothing sharp she could be getting caught on. She doesn’t appear sick, is bright eyed and curious, and still drinks and comes to eat food from my hand. This is the second night in a row that I have found blood, and I’m going a little crazy trying to figure out what is going on!
Any suggestions?
(These are Khaki Campbells, my first ducks, from my first incubation, and I have raised them by hand with my kids. There are 7 in the flock. )

Attachments

• 1D34C3A2-F367-424B-903D-027080B795C2.jpeg
    1D34C3A2-F367-424B-903D-027080B795C2.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 15
Yes. Each morning since the first, at least two of them and sometimes 3 now have some blood in their beaks/in their mouths. Not ever lots, but a few drops. The ones that do, look like they’ve been walked on and their beaks have been scratched in spots maybe? Not sure if they’re fighting, or what is going on. Four are leaving for their new home on Tuesday, so I’m hoping reducing the group size will help. Until then, I am just observing as much as I can, and hoping it doesn’t get any worse.
They are only shut in at dark, and let out first thing in the morning, but I can’t safely leave them in the run at night. 😕

Could there be any dust that would bother their nares? Maybe @Isaac 0 might have an idea how to help.
I really don’t think it’s dust. They were in the same bedding in their brooder, and I built the coop from scrap wood from my shop and yard, so there’s nothing breaking down in it or off-gassing.
The last two mornings, all seem to be fine. I’m thinking maybe it was just squabbling amongst themselves. I was shutting them in an hour or so before dark, but lately I have been letting them go in at dusk naturally and it seems to be helping. I’m hesitant to leave them outside in the evening if I’m not here, as we have lots of coyotes and raccoons in our area, but as long as I’m home they can put themselves to bed! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom