5 week-old Easter Egger - Cockerel or Pullet?

How are your Easter Eggers doing? I was wondering when Wizard started getting red leakage on his wing? One of my pullets looks similar, black and white, but no red wings and small comb at 4 weeks.

My other one I was previously worried about does look like a cockerel.

Do some of your Easter eggers have straight combs instead of pea combs? Hoping they’re going for a new variety because mine does.
Easter Eggers are mixed breeds so they can have any comb type available. Pea combs are just the most common due to their Ameraucana parentage.

Easter Eggers are mixed breeds so they can have any comb type available. Pea combs are just the most common due to their Ameraucana parentage.
Yeah, but most have pea combs unless they’re legbar based, but mine doesn’t have a crest or yellow legs. Which ups the odds it won’t lay blue or green. Unless they’re doing something special.

Yeah, but most have pea combs unless they’re legbar based, but mine doesn’t have a crest or yellow legs. Which ups the odds it won’t lay blue or green. Unless they’re doing something special.
A single comb does not necessarily mean they are Legbar based. I've seen plenty of Easter Eggers that are mostly Ameraucana based, but have single combs. It just depends on who and what they were bred with. Do you have a picture of your chick?

A single comb does not necessarily mean they are Legbar based. I've seen plenty of Easter Eggers that are mostly Ameraucana based, but have single combs. It just depends on who and what they were bred with. Do you have a picture of your chick?
IMG_3542.jpeg

I’ve shared these pics on other threads. I read that in traditional Easter eggers, a straight comb is a recessive trait that often means they’ll also inherit brown egg genes. To my knowledge, Mt. healthy hasn’t done any fancy crosses like many other hatcheries.

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpeg
    IMG_3546.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 19
How are your Easter Eggers doing? I was wondering when Wizard started getting red leakage on his wing? One of my pullets looks similar, black and white, but no red wings and small comb at 4 weeks.

My other one I was previously worried about does look like a cockerel.
Hello hello!

I think Wizard started showing red around four weeks, not entirely sure. It was only a little bit peeking through to begin with. Now, its shoulders are all red at 8 weeks. Still no crowing or pointed saddle feathers. I'm desperately hoping Wizard is a pullet, but no way to tell right now.

We're getting ready to move all of the chicks into the big coop this week. They've been free ranging with the flock for weeks and seem to be integrating well. Hopefully moving into the run and coop goes smoothly.

Two of our three Easter Eggers have pea combs and beards from their Americauna parent. Our third Easter Egger has a straight comb and no beard or crest. I'm assuming she's a Legbar mix as she has an entirely different shape and look from the two Americauna mixes.

Hello hello!

I think Wizard started showing red around four weeks, not entirely sure. It was only a little bit peeking through to begin with. Now, its shoulders are all red at 8 weeks. Still no crowing or pointed saddle feathers. I'm desperately hoping Wizard is a pullet, but no way to tell right now.

We're getting ready to move all of the chicks into the big coop this week. They've been free ranging with the flock for weeks and seem to be integrating well. Hopefully moving into the run and coop goes smoothly.

Two of our three Easter Eggers have pea combs and beards from their Americauna parent. Our third Easter Egger has a straight comb and no beard or crest. I'm assuming she's a Legbar mix as she has an entirely different shape and look from the two Americauna mixes.
Hello hello!

Do you have a picture of your straight comb, no beard no crest one? If you don’t mind. I’m just curious to see another.

Do you have a picture of your straight comb, no beard no crest one? If you don’t mind. I’m just curious to see another.
Sure thing!
This is Sunshine, our mystery chick. When she's on alert, her tail stands SUPER upright. She looks like a prairie grouse when her tail is held high.

Attachments

• 20230707_194704.jpg
    20230707_194704.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230707_194512.jpg
    20230707_194512.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230707_194337.jpg
    20230707_194337.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 20
And this is an update photo of Wizard, who still is not crowing and whose hackle and saddle feathers have not yet come in (I don't think .... I have no experience with roosters) .... so I'm in denial hoping she's not a he.

This photo cracks me up

20230707_193319.jpg

Back
Top Bottom